so so happy!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

CatBud
KG Regular

Hi everyone,

I'm really happy cus just got a completion date for my first house :D :D :D
which also means my first garden! :D :D :D

Also went shopping for gardening stuff today and bought some seeds, seed trays etc, is it normal to be this excited about growing veg??? hehe :shock:
Tigger
KG Regular

'Fraid so - and it gets worse........

Why do you think my nickname is Tigger?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Yes it is Catbud, and once the gardening bug has got you, it has normaly got you for life. Hence my name.

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.

P.S hope you get as much enjoyment out of gardening as i have over the years.
Chantal
KG Regular

When then weather is good and I'm getting ready to go to the allotment I sometimes realise I'm skipping around all over the house and laughing to myself in anticipation of the day. Insanity doesn't run in my family and despite what Tigger may tell you I'm not crazy, it's just the way it gets to you. :D :D :D Sounds like Tigger is much the same... :twisted:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Sue
KG Regular

Cautionary tale Catbud.

Started tiny house with tiny garden :D

Moved to another tiny house but much bigger garden :D :D

Discovered KG and inspired to get an allotment :D :D :D

Got 2nd allotment :D :D :D :D

Went wild and did career change into horticulture, did part-time college course and now 3 years on am plant area manager at small independant garden centre, spend all day caring for and talking plants, still got garden and allotments, plus chickens now as well :D :D :D :D :D

I still love it all BUT :shock: ...now hankering after small holding or cottage in the country with a couple of acres :(

Enjoy your first garden - it just gets better and better the more you do :lol:
Compo
KG Regular

Not sure what causes the excitement, but got in tonight and missus and number one son were sorting out his room as it is school hols, place was upside down tea was not on the way so I escaped to the lotment, watered my seeds, started to lay bark paths between the raised beds, whilst the camping stove in the shed boiled up water for a brew. My allotment is on a hill (not many in Somerset) and the next hill is ten miles away (Glastonbury Tor). Clear skies, hands in the dirt and a great view with a cuppa tea....when it got home tea was ready and everything was tidy again.

Occasionally we all go up there, pick some veg and muck about, when family visit they pick some veg to take back and everyone says the taste is well different from shop bought stuff.

So allotments or even small garden plots, provide fresh air, exercise, combat anxiety, are good for the environment, and allow individuals to feel in control of their lot (something that modern life rarely allows) I sold a static caravan last year because after going there for three years it became a bit samey, but every time I go to the allotment it is different, what a winning formula!!

GP's prescribe the gym for certain problems now but what about allotment prescriptions?? I would volunteer to be the treatment supervisor. What a job!!!!
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
yummyveggies
KG Regular

the other half used to live on a farm and described the cows being let out in spring ... even dignified old ladies buckarooing across a field with delight on being let out and the smell of spring ...... well to see me bouncing round the veg patch as spring approaches is not dissimilar ( or so 'he' says !)

Oh and my brother ( who saw gardens as outdoor hoovering) now lives in France and he and his wife avidly read the KG - the subscription I gave them as a going away present ( along with Hesayon Veg Expert !)and they rave about home grown veggies and the merits of their locally acquired manure .....

Does it get to everyone eventually .... or are we just lucky to have 'found' it !!!
Or for it to 'find' us !! :lol: :lol:
Chantal
KG Regular

I think we're the fortunate ones, I know too many people of all ages who just don't understand to assume it comes to everyone. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
lizzie
KG Regular

There are fewer things more beautiful than seeing the dew drops on the leaves of your produce.

A spiders web suspended from the eves of the shed, the rain droplets glistening in the sun.

The excited shouts of kids who've just found their seeds have germinated.

The flavour of the first strawberry or raspberry picked from the plant, still warm from the suns rays.

The sight of the bats flying over the lottie at dusk.

The smell of the snorkers on the bbq on a summers evening, and the excited shouts of the kids who've found the lettuce, radishes, spring onion etc for the salad for their tea.

Then there's the site of your newly potted on seeds, hopefully looking all green and healthy.

All this from my lottie, in the middle of the city but still a haven for peace and quiet: and the satisfaction of being able to say "I grew this!"
Lots of love

Lizzie
CatBud
KG Regular

Oh, I'm glad we're all the same!!! My boyfriend will be pleased to know I'm not mad!!! :)
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Nice sentiments Lizzie, can`t say that I get Grock flying over my plot at dusk very often though :twisted: :twisted:
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
lizzie
KG Regular

The big end's gone on her broomstick so she's grounded :twisted:

Also, her 'puter's knackered again. It's in the shop having the Last Rites as we speak.

As for the thingy, I think that we are the lucky ones. I get loads of "why grow your own, it's easy to buy it from the shops" When I try to explain people don't believe me when I say there are hundreds of different spud varieties, brassicas etc.

I think you get more from it than just the satisfaction of growing your own stuff. There's the relaxation, getting with nature, looking at the birds and teaching the kids bits and bobs about nature. It's like others have said, being out in the fresh air lifts the spirits.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Compo
KG Regular

I echo everyone's sentiment, but I don't think that it comes to everyone though, my Father in Law got very enthusiastic last year and helped me to dig over the new plot, he took no pleasure in winter digging and weeding and then no pleasure in pulling up the winter brassicas, he has retreated to his model trains. Which is more up his street, so I guess it does not make everyones mop flop. He does promise to return in warmer weather to test out the deck chairs, plot patio and bring a bottle of wine, so it can't all be bad for him!!
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic