Greenhouse - watertight???

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

mazmezroz
KG Regular

My sister-in-law has just had a brand new greenhouse but has discovered it's letting in the rain. When she rang up the manufacturers about this they said it's not supposed to be watertight. Is this true? and if so, why is it not supposed to be watertight???
nog
KG Regular

Because if it was watertight it would also be air tight. As plants feed (yes only the green ones) by photosynthesis at night they thake O2 out of the atmophere and release co2. So if your Greenhouse was full of plants and air tight, and you went in,in the morning and closed the door behind you = Dead Gardener.
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Huh? My car's watertight but not airtight. My house is watertight but not air tight. I don't think greenhouses are supposed to leak!
Having said that, mine does (yes, I put it up myself). I put an old dustbin under the leak. Hey presto, water on tap. Well, in the dustbin.
Anonymous

I would certainly have thought that, correctly erected, a greenhouse should be watertight.

If your sister-in-law is getting nowhere with the manufacturer, I would suggest that she contacts her local Trading Standards office. If it is not watertight, it is "not fit for the purpose", which is jargonese for it aint right.

I don't know what part of the country you live in, but we listen to the Ed Doolan show on BBC Radio WM (West Midlands) 10.00 am to 1.00pm. When peoople are having problems, It's amazing how his how his show'sorts them out'.

valmarg
Chantal
KG Regular

I get the very occasional drip on my head from the window area but that's all. I thought the way the glass was put in meant the water ran down the outside even though there's clearly nothing sealing the glass. Is the glass overlapping the wrong way perhaps?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Compo
KG Regular

Mine is twenty years old and has recently been moved from a house to the allotment, it does not leak and neither should yours!!

Contact trading standards then fax or send a recorded letter with what u want to happen...Refund /repair/ replacement then they will replay proabably

Good Luck
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........

[quote="Jenny Green"]Huh? My car's watertight but not airtight. My house is watertight but not air tight.

Jenny try driving you car into the canal and see how watertight it is.
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Anonymous wrote:
Jenny Green wrote:Huh? My car's watertight but not airtight. My house is watertight but not air tight.

Jenny try driving you car into the canal and see how watertight it is.

Mmmmmm. No, I don't think I'll try that. I'm sure if I managed to get a greenhouse into a canal that probably wouldn't keep out the water either. But that's not what we're talking about here is it?
mazmezroz
KG Regular

Yes, there's watertight, and there's vaccuum. If tis the latter, then lots of dead gardeners - and dead plants.

Certain amount of ventilation I can understand. Leaking and rain ingress, no.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

I put my greenhouse up last year and it certainly drips when it rains a lot. But then it has rained an awful lot here in Wales this past winter. Doesn't bother me and can't really see the problem. With vents in the roof there will be slight gaps where the rain can blow in.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic