Summer bits and bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I picked five outdoor ridge cucumbers, and a basket of mixed ripe tomatoes today, radishes and onions, red and green lettuce, a bowl of cherries,strawberries and loganberries, also noticed one mature size pepper, just beginning to change colour. the courgettes are forming and the runners and the third crop of peas are flowering, the greenhouse grapes are just starting to change colour, my kale is ready to start harvesting, the red cabbages look huge, a nice deluge of rain tonight, which was needed. Yuk, the cat just bought me a present of a dead shrew, they are so delicate and velvety, I always feel sad when they catch such harmless little creatures.
The Achocha are about the size of a large walnut now and I'm not sure what size to harvest them ?
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thank you to Nature's Babe. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Enjoy your hols and watch out for Alan policing the place, giggles, you can't get away from him even on holiday, more giggles.
The greenhouse mini cucumbers were only just ahead of the outdoor ones,
wondering if I will bother with greenhouse cues next year, perhaps use the space for more melons some nearly ready now and other smaller ones set well.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Just got back from weeding 4 rows of onions and 4 of potatoes in the rain, the sun is out now :evil: .
Kind regards,

Elle
Geoff
KG Regular

So was "The Great British Weather" the dumbest down show of the year?
alan refail
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:So was "The Great British Weather" the dumbest down show of the year?

Geoff

Wasn't the title warning enough? I always steer well clear of anything called "The Great British.....".

Anyway it wasn't even the dumbest down show of the evening, let alone the year. That accolade must go to cariad@iaith, a programme on S4C in which eight "celebs" "learn" Welsh in a Big Brother imitation.
But up your way you were spared that!
snooky
KG Regular

Busy day on the allotment today.Found signs of blight on the haulms of the "Wilja"potatoes and white rot on the onions.Chopped the haulms down and bagged them up with the infected onions and took them to the local council tip for disposal because we aren't allowed fires on site.Will lift the potatoes and onions over the next few days,weather permitting,prepare ground for other crops to go in.Also,after a good crop of Rasberries,cut down the old fruiting wood on the summer Raspberries and tied in the new growth.
The cold beer will taste especially good this evening :D
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Clive.
KG Regular

I have been trimming out the Glen Ample and Tulameen Raspberries here too....sort of end of summer feel but made better by the lovely tied in lines of canes for next year. In fact with the recent rains the new canes look well and are mainly to full height and some more in places. Unlike last year when it went scorching dry in early July leading to some poor new canes.

I've been cutting the Beech hedge (etc :wink: :oops: ) too.....

Kestrel and remaining Lady Christl Potato tops cut off...not blighted but just end of season dying down. Valor and Merlin still green and ok. A quick scrabble down to Valor and it looks a good crop despite early dry spell...on our light soil boosted with much home made compost and with fish/blood/bone fertiliser in lieu of Growmore this year.

Clive.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Clive, my Kestrel still seem to be growing strongly at the moment, i suppose that has just given them the kiss of death. :)

alan refail
KG Regular

All this talk of potatoes reminds me I must get out and lift my maincrop which are now dying back - no sign of blight. I just have to get over the back pain that's had me out of action for well over three weeks now :x

The grass cutting and hedges will just have to wait.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Alan my dear fellow, i do hope your back soon improves for you, when it's playing up, everything seems hard work.

donedigging
KG Regular

donedigging
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Donedigging, everyone needs a helping hand once in a while, even me. :)

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Rather dark here this morning, but i suppose the mornings and the start drawing in, now we are nearly into August. :)

peter
KG Regular

Yesterday I saw three cleared and tilled fields, the winter wheat & rape will be sprouting soon.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic