Summer bits and bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Got back last night from a lovely week in Slovenia :D

Wandering through flower filled meadows swarming with bees, beetles, butterflies etc. Noticeably more insect life then over here.

In the village, most of the gardens have a mix of flowers and veg growing madly together. Most people seem to grow climbing beans in ridged rows similar to potatoes. Never seen that before.

Visited the plot this morning and everything has been growing apace, especially the weeds :roll: Virtually no rain since I have been away either.
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Glad you had a good holiday PJ, I would love to have seen those meadows, we had a meadow behind our last house and it changed colour with the seasons, yellow with buttercups or red with sorrel etc. Flowers and veg together looks good, some veg can be quite colourful, in my own garden I have red cabbage next to yellow nasturtium, and yellow sugar snap peas next to marigolds, purple foxgloves next to yellow courgettes. I think that's called a potager. Good plan because it encourages the beneficial insects. :)
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Clive.
KG Regular

This week at work the Hummingbird Hawk Moths re appeared...busy on the Lavender and the Catmints
..and in the herb garden, on cleaning between the flagtsone paths, we disturbed some Bees of a type we hadn't seen before. A look in the books seem to suggest that they are Mining Bees...a new one on me.

Clive.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Clive there are many different mining bees, as I rarely dig except to plant I see quite a few of these, the other day I saw a tawny one in the garden.

http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/searc ... ining+bees
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello NB,
Thanks for the link. We thought at first that we had disturbed some flying Ants but then realised that they were very slim black Bees. Almost the length of Honey Bees but really slim. We do have many sorts of Bees buzzing about the place given the massive diversity within the garden but had never seen these before. We have medium heavy clay soil but these Bees were making the most of the sand the flags had been bedded onto.

Clive.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I garden on clay with lots of compost added Clive, and I see mining bees entering holes in the clay soil too.
By Thomas Huxley
Clive.
KG Regular

..and with ref the Honey Bees in the Orchard. One Hive is now 8 sections high...I had never seen one up to the 6 that it was at the other week...but now its 8 high.... :shock:

Clive.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

The tall peas are now cropping very heavily, Clive, and as sweet as ever. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

That's good to hear Old H'.... :)

I have had 2 reasonable pickings from those at home here given the dry early growing period. Another pick tonight...this time for tea time tomorrow rather than the freezer.

Clive.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Buddleia in full bloom, have yet to see a butterfly. :(
Bren
KG Regular

OH
I hope you will have a good holiday in Dorset and that the weather will be kind to you.
Bren
alan refail
KG Regular

OH

Enjoy your visit

Dorset

Enjoy your visitor :wink: :wink:
Geoff
KG Regular

The thing I don't understand about the "News of the World" scandal (apart from why that woman isn't on the dole) is why the abbreviation is NoW. Is it dumbing down?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thank you Bren and Alan, i must admit i'm quite looking forward to it now. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

OH, I am :mrgreen: dorset is a lovely holiday destination, have a great time.
By Thomas Huxley
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic