Hooray, rain at last

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin_M
KG Regular

Ok, it was lovely to have warm weather at the end of last week. However it was then that I realised how dry it's been (down here) and had to water quite a lot of my stuff.

But today, I opened the curtains and it was dark & tipping down. Don't mind either sun or rain, provided we get the right quantities of each.
Clive.
KG Regular

6mm rain overnight here....

But today..Gales....and Sand Storms....
On the A158 West of Horncastle it was more like negotiating the Sahara Desert as the car ahead dissappeared from view as it entered the sand cloud.
I was taking my trusty old Skoda on its last run to the garage :( and got its rust sand blasted out on the way. :wink:

Clive.
Monika
KG Regular

Lucky you, Colin and Clive! We had a bit of drizzle overnight (0.5mm in the gauge), but that's all. One of our cloches took off in the strong wind - safely retrieved. I had to water all the containers thoroughly when I realised they were bone dry. Total rainfall for March: 16mm.

At least this dry weather has meant the allotment is now ready to be planted up and sown, because we have used the time to stake everything, banged in the pea and bean supports etc.
Clive.
KG Regular

Likewise Monika I was putting up Bean poles yesterday as it was dry and possible to get on the land without worry...so they too are all ready for a months time.
Maincrop Potatoes went in the day before...it feels early to be doing so on our land but it was go-able and I have thus hopefully won half a day for another time

Clive.
haggis
KG Regular

For once I am happy to see the rain too - I think that the wildlife pond which I dug a week or two ago for mini haggis must be full now. Can't wait to plant it up and seed it with some pond water.
Monika
KG Regular

Still no rain here, just a bit of drizzle yesterday morning. Today it was dry enough to kneel on the soil on the allotment without leaving any trace on my jeans! That IS unusual for March/April, I think. So had to do a lot of watering again today, including the few broad beans and peas which are already in the ground. There is rain forecast for next week.

Pricked out the celeriac in the greenhouse today.
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Wadya mean hooray ! :x Just got back from the allotment after weeding the garlic and I'm soaked to the skin! I'll have to have the first shower of 2011 now ! ! ! :wink: Cheers, Tony.
Colin_M
KG Regular

More rain Saturday and Sunday.

At last our garlic looks lush, green and proudly upright and the caulies have come to life too :)
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

It has been dry here too but when I planted early potatoes it was nice moist soil under the mulch, trouble is the worms work the mulch into the soil and I have to keep topping up the mulch, but it certainly helps to conserve the moisture and condition the soil, just as well because mum is in hospital again, with multiple problems, I was there again today, after she was transferred to resuscitation and the medical unit sadly she wasn't well enough to enjoy her mothers day presents.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Natures Babe, sorry to read your Mum is back in Hospital again,
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
haggis
KG Regular

Sorry to hear about your mum Nature's Babe. Do you live quite near the hospital or is it a long trip to go and see her?
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

It's about a half hour journey from home, thank you OH and Haggis
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Monika
KG Regular

Rain report: 2.5mm today, better than nothing.

I am signing off for a bit now because tomorrow I go into hospital for a bowel operation, to remove a rather extensive but benign growth. Hoping to be back after the weekend!
goldilox
KG Regular

Monika, so sorry to hear that. Hope it all goes well for you and that you are back in your garden soon.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Monika, may i wish you well, as well.
May i say, you sound terribly brave, so i hope you are soon back with us on the forum.

Good luck, from your biggest fan. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic