Hughs fish fight

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

Well i have just finished watching this program and i am in shock :shock: ,but still confused how this can poss be sorted.Had huge row with husband,well not so much a row,more a heated debate.I am against trawling,but understand people need to make a living,but maybe in a more eco friendly way.I dont pretend to be any brain box,but i think fishermen would still try to catch more profitable fish.What do you all think?
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
macmac
KG Regular

My OH says let the fishermen go out and catch a specific amount,by weight not species.That way they wouldn't be "discarding"dead fish rather landing everything they catch.If they were not going out so often ,they could sell all their catch,save fuel/costs and not kill fish without reason.
These measures were supposedly taken as a matter of conservation ?tell that to the dead fish "chucked"back in the ocean.The fishermen must be so frustrated :shock: :shock: :shock:
sanity is overrated
lizzie
KG Regular

I think it's a bloody disgrace. I really do. The way that the EU has done this is so wrong. I know that a lot of trawlers now use specific nets to catch specific fish, letting the others go free. The programme is on again tomorrow and Hugh is taking on Tescos again. I for one am in for some of that.

It is stupid that a fishmonger in Hastings, whos shop is 25 yards from where the boats land, has to buy cod from Scotland cos the local fishermen dont have enough of a quota to catch them. Why not let the fishermen go out for a certain amount of days during each fish season, catch as much as they can and sell it? That would be the best way I think.

There are not many fishmongers left now. There used to be one local to me but he closed down when a big Tescos put him out of business. He was knowledgable, had loads of receipe ideas and his stock was top quality. Ask the ones in Tescos and they havent a clue.

I eat a fair amount of fish, River Cobbler being a cheap and tasty fish, with fresh sardines, mackrell, trout, plaice, coley and wild salmon (when I can afford it)

What really stuck in my clack was the Minister for Fisheries didnt know his ling from his pollock and he's the fishermens representative in Brussels and parliament. What a ducking waste of space he was.

Here's the link so please try to get your voices heard

http://www.channel4.com/4food/the-big-fish-fight
Lots of love

Lizzie
Tony Hague
KG Regular

macmac wrote:My OH says let the fishermen go out and catch a specific amount,by weight not species.That way they wouldn't be "discarding"dead fish rather landing everything they catch.

That was my first reaction. Then it occured to me that the fishermen would soon realise that if they threw back dead all the cheaper species of fish and saved their quota only the ones that fetch a high price, they would make much more money.

See how easy it is to set rules with good intentions yet end up with an awful consequence ?
Tony Hague
KG Regular

lizzie wrote:What really stuck in my clack was the Minister for Fisheries didnt know his ling from his pollock and he's the fishermens representative in Brussels and parliament. What a ducking waste of space he was.

I utterly disagree here. He is a government minister, a politician, not a fisherman. How would it improve the job he does to be able to identify the fish ? I think Hugh was quite mistaken and risked harming his cause by needlessly trying to publicly embarrass the man, who was on his side already. Home goal for Hugh there.
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Tony,

I have to agree with you, it was a low blow by Hugh :shock: :?

Regards

Kevin
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Primrose
KG Regular

Watching this programme make me unspeakably angry because we're paying these European bureaucrats huge amounts of money to implement laws which cause massive amounts of food waste when parts of the world are starving. I support a lot of what H F-W does, but embarrassing the Minister in this way probably didn't help his cause, especially when he's already committed to try and get the rules changed.

However, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing him take on Tesco. In my book Tesco have become an incredibly arrogant supermarket, helped by planning officials who have sold their souls for some kind of a free community facility or other agreed as part of the planning process, and allowed them to build everywhere and become too big for their own good,at the expense of other small independent stores in High streets and villages alike. I shall be watching tonight's episode with interest.
Last edited by Primrose on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John
KG Regular

Its a poor reflection on the Minister and his advisors in that he was not media savvy enough to have prepared himself for some sort of set up like this. He walked straight into the trap.
'Journos' and TV presenters love to pull this sort of trick on unprepared politicians and create a headline over some gaffe or another.
Another recent example is Alan Johnson, Shadow Chancellor, blustering over NI rates the other day.
My advice to the Minister is to sack his advisors and appoint some who are up to the job!

John

PS Love it when Hugh goes into battle with the awful Tesco and usually gets himself thrown out of a store.
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Primrose
KG Regular

PS AND I've signed up to his campaign petition at:

http://www.fishfight.net/

I went back to check it to give the link to a friend and notice that over 1000 people have signed it since I did a short time ago, so I think people are obviously passing the link on.
macmac
KG Regular

Thankyou for the link Primrose :) we've both just signed.
Tony I agree with both your comments.
sanity is overrated
lizzie
KG Regular

As someone else has said, the mimister should have been prepared. He wasnt, and it showed. He's a politician, on TV so will say what he thinks people will want to hear, and what he does whilst claiming his nice EU expenses, is another matter. He should know his subject.

I've certainly signed up to the campaign, and I very rarely shop in Tescos anyway as a matter of principle, having been thrown out 2 years ago for questioning their pricing policy. Only time I ever go in is if my old mum wants some bits of shopping.

I've joined up onto the Facebook group, and have been passing round the link to nmy UK friends, and some of my European pals are interested too, together with my American and Australian ones (and yes, I have personally met them all and got roaring drunk with them)

I'm all up for change, and for a good battle, so bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lots of love

Lizzie
Primrose
KG Regular

Just checked the website out of curiosity - signatures are up to 90,645 now, which hopefully includes some of the people to whom I forwarded the link.
John
KG Regular

This is an absolutely superb guide to everything you need to know about fish and food, produced by the SEAFISH authority. It is available as a .pdf from:

http://www.seafoodacademy.org/Documents ... 0Guide.pdf

You can also obtain it as a high quality glossy brochure from SEAFISH for £5 I think. Email [email protected] for further details.

To the Minister I would say 'read, mark, learn and inwardly digested' this great work before you step in front of another TV camera or go anywhere near a 'journo'.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
John Walker
KG Regular

Yes, the hullabaloo over the minister who doesn't know his fish is yet another headline-grabbing distraction in an important debate.

Would there be anything wrong with us deciding, in the interests of other species (fish and others that depend on them, apart from us), that we might just stop eating fish for a generation or two, to give these overstretched ecological systems (seas and oceans) a chance to rest and recuperate? A bit like letting parts of a garden go fallow when they're all cropped out.

Yes, the fishing industry will all but close down, but the choice seems to be not whether it closes down, but when. Why not close now with a view to opening up again at some time in the future, when we've hopefully learnt how to live in balance on a planet with finite natural resources - and when there might even be some fish in the sea to catch?

Stopping eating fish in the over-eating 'developed' world probably isn't going to have anyone keeling over with malnutrition.
Johnboy
KG Regular

John Walker,

"A bit like letting parts of a garden go fallow when they're all cropped out."
I suspect that this is what they have been attempting to do for a long time but it is not that simple. Your garden you can see but fish in an ocean are more than a tad different so it gets a whole lot harder to sort out.
I am appalled with the EU's miserable attempts and we need a strong leadership from our government which hitherto has been very weak.
To have to throw sound food-fish overboard because they should not have been caught has infuriated me for a very long time.
I think that Seine Purse Nets should be banned. I watched a programme a couple of years back when an entire shoal of Mackerel were caught and that meant that there was no chance of any escaping the net to recolonize so that entire shoal was wiped out. That is evil!
I cannot agree with your conclusion that a total ban, with no fishing, would help the situation and certainly to close an industry down would, in my opinion, be a step too far.
I call for a common sense approach to be used because common sense seems to have flown out of the window with the way politicians handle most situations and especially the fishing industry. They do not need to be clever just sensible.
JB.
Locked Previous topicNext topic