What you all get? Best / worst

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

Have to say i was really a bad bad girl this year,but i was really really good at being bad,so the fat man got me all i asked for,sowing machine,Cath Kidston bag and purse,smellies and the tart made me a gorg sticky toff pud,no crap presents this year. Ive had a really chilled xmas,how about all of you?
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
peter
KG Regular

The dog still can't quite believe her luck and is still licking her whiskers reflectively.
She got, most of the turkey skin, giblets, including the meat from the neck, any unidentifiable bits of turkey without bones in, gravy and a handful of dry dogfood.

I got some walking socks.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

My best, was a lovely old book (about 1920s) about village crafts, smashing.

My worst, was a kiss from an old lady with a moustache. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

All good pressies for me this year - Apple iphone (will have figured it out by 2020!) and got one of those new red fleshed apple trees - but that's not delivered until mid January.

I've just spent the morning re-wrapping the presents not delivered yet - Thank you very much critters!! Fortunately they only like the paper. :D

Westi
Westi
lizzie
KG Regular

Lucky Westi!!!!!!!!!! I so want an iphone. I'm saving up for one and will get one in May when my contract is up for re-newal.

I got the new Jamie Oliver 30 minute meals book, some vouchers for HMV and Waterstones, lovely Lush smellies and a gorgeous diary hand sowen by the fabulous Grockie. It's gorgeous and am totally in love with it.

Mum had a nice day so am happy with that. If my old mums happy, i'm happy. Plus, someone else did all the washing up so the job was a goodun :D
Lots of love

Lizzie
Diane
KG Regular

All my pressies were lovely and one of the best is that my question is to be aired on Gardeners Question Time today at 2pm and I was recorded, asking the question, by the BBC too. I'm asking about how street lighting effects autumn tree colouring.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That's rather exciting Diane, i wonder if they will be as knowledgeable as us lot. :lol: :wink:

richard p
KG Regular

mother in law gave me some alan titchmarsh folding pocket secateurs..... lucky old me.....
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Diane, i unavoidedly missed it, what was the panels veiw on the matter?

Diane
KG Regular

Well, the first person to answer said he didn't think the lights would affect the tree but the second person said yes, it would definitely make the tree react differently.
The answer can be heard here -http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wr4j5

It's the last question, after the weather, about 40 mins into the programme. They called it 'a quirky question'.

The lights are preventing the tree from having a decent nights sleep and fooling it into thinking it's summer. :shock:
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Colin_M
KG Regular

We were very lucky and got Xmas down by the beach at Croyde in North Devon.

The water was a little nippy, so we just left it to the kids to go into the sea. There was amazing surf on Boxing day and we were surrounded by a wonderful snowy landscape, plus lots of rabbits hopping through the snow by the lodge.

5 days of bliss - priceless :)
Primrose
KG Regular

Colin_M wrote:We were very lucky and got Xmas down by the beach at Croyde in North Devon. 5 days of bliss - priceless :)

Before we retired, we always looked forward to the Christmas break, even though it usually involved lots of travelling to look after elderly relatives. It seem to come just at the right time when spirits were down because of the cold weather and dark nights. Now we're retired we still relish it, but miss the contrast between frenetic work and leisure. What we work at now is self-imposed timetables, but somehow these are much less harsh than those imposed by "the boss or the organisation.". Make the most of it!
Monika
KG Regular

You mean, you actually let the children SWIM in the sea, Colin? Wow, that was very brave of them! I would have thought even just paddling would have frozen their little tootsies.

I am glad you all had a good time, anyway, and yes, I agree with you, Primrose, before retirement, the break at Christmas was always much looked forward to and well deserved after the rushed run-up to it. Now it becomes all a bit "samey", particularly when it involves two days without newspaper, swimming pools closed (perhaps I should swim in the sea, too!) and everything at a standstill. In better weather, it is always good for a good dig on the allotment which, alas, is still under deep snow this year.
Geoff
KG Regular

Just got an email from our local history society website - run by same couple as Catherine was recommending for their walks in the area in a recent post - interesting take on "What you all get? Best/Worst"

"Bargain - Set of Cassini maps!

Owing to an unfortunate yuletide coincidence (Don't ask. Oh all right then: Anne and I gave each other the same present!) I am able to offer a boxed set of three reproduction old OS maps of different periods (roughly 1850, 1902, 1923) covering most of Tatham parish (as far east as Rantree Fold) at the bargain price of £13 (usual price £19.95). First reply secures!"

Not entirely looking forward to our strange tomorrow; funeral at 11:00 of a good friend of 25 years who died aged only 52 and 60th birthday lunch at 12:30 for another good friend we have known for over 30 years, it will be an odd day. Friend initially diagnosed with breast cancer just before my wife was, hers spread but, 2½ years on, my wife's operation and treatment have so far been successful - gets you thinking.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It certainly does get one thinking Geoff, especially after the last two years. So, i try doing someone a good turn everyday, and that's given me a lot of pleasure.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic