Olympics in bloom.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Garden plants to feature at olympics 2012

http://www.hortweek.com/news/1043679/Ol ... 012-plants
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Primrose
KG Regular

Call me a grumpy old woman, but I just can't work up any enthusiasm for the Olympics at all and the closer we get to the event, the more I feel like emigrating until it's all over.

I think what really put me off was the group of people (was it Manor Allotments ?) who had their allotments compulsorarily confiscated because they happened to be in the location of where one of the Olympics venues was going to be sited. So people who had put in years of loving work and effort tending their plots and improving their soil were just booted out for a hord of anonymous crowds trampling where their beloved vegetables had been planted. I'm wondering just how much the "little man and woman" will benefit when all the crowds have gone home.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I agree with Primrose how sad it was for the allotment holders.

But it is nice to see that they are going to show the public how passionate the British are about plants.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I hadn't heard about that Primrose, any gardener would feel empathy about that. Hopefully if they showccase what is good about Britain there will be some spin-off to benefit us all
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
alan refail
KG Regular

I bet they won't be featuring vegetables in homage to the evicted tenants of Manor Gardens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manor_Garden_Allotments

Don't get me started on Olympics, World Cup bids, or any other sporting nonsense :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Shame the allotments were demolished, I do hope they reinstate them to really benefit the allotments afterwards.
By Thomas Huxley
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

If they do, they should grow some very good Runner Beans, oh i've already done that one. :)

alan refail
KG Regular

Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Carrying the union jack - sweet pea flying the flag

pea Champion of England - Real seeds.

cress sprint suttons

spinach triathlon
By Thomas Huxley
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Nature's Babe, now that's just showing off. :wink: :)

I have just been eating my feast, racking my brains for one more. :)

Geoff
KG Regular

(Pentland) Javelin potatoes
Primrose
KG Regular

Manor Allotments - "It has however been agreed that the allotments will be reinstated on the original site once the Games are over."

Where have I heard these kind of promises before ?? Ask the people who had their pensions with Equitable Life how long it takes for these kinds of promises to be made good.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Primrose. re Olympics in bloom. I would say to the plot-holders, dont hold your breath. :(
Elaine
KG Regular

I hadn't heard about that one. How awful. And all for sport. Huh!
The thought of all the money being ploughed into the Olympics makes me mad...there are more important things in urgent need of cash.
And now it starts again with the bid to host the ruddy World cup.
pffftttttttt.
Happy with my lot
glallotments
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Manor Allotments - "It has however been agreed that the allotments will be reinstated on the original site once the Games are over."

Where have I heard these kind of promises before ?? Ask the people who had their pensions with Equitable Life how long it takes for these kinds of promises to be made good.

How easy is it to reinstate an allotment site back to its former glory especailly if like on ours fruit bushes and trees are allowed - let alone the need to get soil into condition etc etc. As we all know it takes time to develop a garden or an allotment plot!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic