Cold winters

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

richward
KG Regular

glallotments - Regarding the hypocrisy of MP's flying back and forth from Mexico to vote, I am assuming you are talking about Chris Huhne and the vote on tuition fees? There's a report on the BBC website which confirms he did not leave Cancun to vote.

madasafish - It's a fairly sweeping statement to say that advocates of climate change are hypocrites. If people stopped flying perhaps then the airports would close. But for the time being that's probably not going to happen. It is a personal choice to fly or not.

I absolutely agree that there's a lot of hypocrisy in this situation but it's too easy to focus on hypocrisy and not on what the discussions are actually about. For example, probably more attention was paid to whether or not Chris Huhne came back from Mexico, than what actually happened when he was there.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

In the old day's when ministers were abroad, they would pair up, IE, one of the opposition wouldn't vote.
glallotments
KG Regular

[quote="richward"]glallotments - Regarding the hypocrisy of MP's flying back and forth from Mexico to vote, I am assuming you are talking about Chris Huhne and the vote on tuition fees? There's a report on the BBC website which confirms he did not leave Cancun to vote.

No I wasn't referring to Chris Huhne he changed his mind about staying as he had a speech or something to deliver - I'm talking about one of the ministers accompanying him - sorry I can't remember his name but on the news he said something about although CH wouldn't be flying back one of his ministers would be.
glallotments
KG Regular

richward wrote:I absolutely agree that there's a lot of hypocrisy in this situation but it's too easy to focus on hypocrisy and not on what the discussions are actually about. For example, probably more attention was paid to whether or not Chris Huhne came back from Mexico, than what actually happened when he was there.

No I paid attention to what happened there too but will keep my opinions to myself as I don't want to drag this post into a sort of he thinks she thinks routine. This topic is always going to divide opinion and I think the matter of hypocrisy is very valid.

As a teacher I would never have expected my pupils to respect me if I advocated one thing but didn't back this up with how I behaved. Maybe if we concentrated on improving the small things these would mount and have some effect.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Don't worry folks, it's all down to Global Warming!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 68418.html
Johnboy
KG Regular

On The BBC world Service there was a programme which amounted to nothing but one huge scare story about 'Global Warming' couched in the terms that if the Greenland Ice cap melted we are all doomed to a fiery grave!
The question I ask of all in this debate is;
how did Greenland get it's name?
Why are farms and buildings appearing from the ice in Greenland if we have not been in this so called critical state before? How did these farms get there?
Nobody can deny that the earth is warming but the earth has been in this state at many times during it's evolution and without any help from man.
It is suggested that man is responsible for this forthcoming catastrophe and this is where I disagree with those who are trying to panic us all into believing that we are all guilty for even living. There are simply too many people being allowed to expound their theories as fact which is misleading us all. The media are at the forefront of this mob of scare mongerers.
These carbon wasting world conferences are a total fiasco because they achieve nothing that is binding and are simply a waste of fossil fuel.
We need scientists at the forefront of planning not politicians who are conniving lot at the best of times.
What we need if facts not fanciful rubbish!
JB.
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:On The BBC world Service there was a programme which amounted to nothing but one huge scare story about 'Global Warming' couched in the terms that if the Greenland Ice cap melted we are all doomed to a fiery grave!
The question I ask of all in this debate is;
how did Greenland get it's name?
Why are farms and buildings appearing from the ice in Greenland if we have not been in this so called critical state before? How did these farms get there?
Nobody can deny that the earth is warming but the earth has been in this state at many times during it's evolution and without any help from man.
It is suggested that man is responsible for this forthcoming catastrophe and this is where I disagree with those who are trying to panic us all into believing that we are all guilty for even living. There are simply too many people being allowed to expound their theories as fact which is misleading us all. The media are at the forefront of this mob of scare mongerers.
These carbon wasting world conferences are a total fiasco because they achieve nothing that is binding and are simply a waste of fossil fuel.
We need scientists at the forefront of planning not politicians who are conniving lot at the best of times.
What we need if facts not fanciful rubbish!
JB.

Well said Johnboy :)

Too many people present a load of high-handed waffle interspersed with a few links, and pass it off as fact. All it is, is their opinion.
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
glallotments
KG Regular

But the government are taking full advantage of the situation by doing the things they do best - putting up taxes.

So how much of the carbon offset tax do you think is being used to improve matters - is there any data about this? Also it would seem to me that merely putting up fuel prices will hit those who can hardly afford to keep warm now. If you are well off then putting up the price of fuel isn't going to cut down your consumption but if you are already struggling to make ends meet it may be the last straw.
madasafish
KG Regular

ELectricity prices are goinmg to raise a lot more to pay for new power stations.
Global warming or not, they should have been started 5 years ago..

Instead we are going to continue with several old coal fired ones for an extra 5 years..

I balme the Conservatives: they should have started building them in 2005.
richard p
KG Regular

I balme the Conservatives: they should have started building them in 2005.

i know a bloke wot blames all the woes on maggi
Arnie
KG Regular

I know of one who blame's all our troubles on Ted Heath :roll: and wishes that Charles de Gaulle was still around to keep us out of the EU :lol:

Regards

Kevin :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
freddy
KG Regular

Hi folks. My 2p worth. There seems to be a lot of sceptics regarding the whole global warming debate, which is fair enough. Now, I don't pretend to know too much about what our climate is or isn't doing. It does appear that the Earth IS warming, and that we are burning fossil fuels at an ever faster rate. I think it's easy to point at this and that and come to the conclusion that it's like some gigantic conspiracy to extract money, or to keep interested parties in a job. I look at it this way, what if it's all true ? What if we ARE to blame for what's happening to the worlds climate ? To me, the biggest question is, is it really worth taking the risk ? Of course, any transition to a low carbon uptake would be a huge step, and I certainly don't make light of it, but I think that we must at least try. Out of interest, do the sceptics suggest doing nothing ?
Like I said at the start, I'm certainly no expert on the subject, I just don't think that Global Warming should be ignored.

Cheers...Freddy.
The future aint all it used to be
Shallot Man
KG Regular

madasafish. Seem to recall reading that the Chinese are still building coal fired power stations.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Freddy,
Nobody can deny that the climate is changing and the temperatures are rising. I know that we are probably using too much fossil fuel but what I object to is the way certain people are allowed to scaremonger using the BBC as their soap box. Panic has never solved a single problem.
Because of so much theoretical rhetoric it is very difficult for people like you and I to discern the truth. This is why I feel there should be a curb on the people who are allowed on the BBC informing us.
What has been projected has yet to occur and I feel sure that the scientist and meteorologist are scratching their heads as I write.
We need a cool and level headed approach not scaremongering.
JB.
richard p
KG Regular

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic