Hoping you are all OK after the high winds.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Calmer here in the south east this morning, apart from two cloches blown over despite being pegged down, and a tree branch landing atop an archway, leaves everywhere, not too bad here now. Hope everyone else got away with as little damage or preferably none :?: :)
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
madasafish
KG Regular

One lilac - broken at bottom. Dead.
2 broken fence panels - next door's :-)

Err.. that's it.

Just a normal winter squall here...Anything under 80mph is unremarkable...we get them every winter...
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Went down the plot this morning. The only damage I could see was somebody's recently erected shed was on its side.

If the wind is strong enough to blow a shed over, why is it not strong enough to blow whitefly off of your brassicas :? :lol:
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
peter
KG Regular

Unless its something visible in the security lights at home I'm blissfully unaware of damage, reason being my commute means I leave home at 06:30 and return after 17:00, so daylight is reserved for weekends. :(
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

PJ - Those whitefly are klingons and perhaps you will all rally round and see the shed owner does a proper job next time, :lol: .
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
glallotments
KG Regular

No real damage here but someone was killed in a tree fall near to us so most damage would be put into perspective against that.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Glallotments, indeed it does take something like that to put things into perspective.

You sure have got to live everyday to the full, as you never know what tomorrow might bring.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

We've not checked the allotment yet but last night was certainly vicious, particularly around 2 and 3am. Our garden is ok but we found a few buckets and flowerpots rolling about on the road which must have escaped from somebody's garden. Branches and fences are down in a few places in the village.
Wait for tomorrow's report on our allotment! At least we are quite used to strong winds there and the shed is bolted on to four 6ft posts sunk well into the ground. And none of the cloches are out at the moment.
How has it gone for you, Geoff? Are you still with us or have you been blown away?
Monika
KG Regular

Sorry, Geoff, I just came across your answer to my above questions in the 'Bits and Bobs' thread. Glad you got away so lightly!
Geoff
KG Regular

Thanks for your concern, and I found the doormat not too far away.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Gallotments, that does indeed put things into perspective, it seems things were worse further north. The great storm was the last really bad one down here and some boats were deposited two thirds of the way up the street where we lived then, an awful lot of trees were uprooted too. Not a good combination high tides and those sort of winds.
By Thomas Huxley
Monika
KG Regular

We went to the allotment this morning with some trepidation but, luckily, all is well with us. One allotment neighbour has lost his polythene tunnel, another has a great hole in the covering. I wish, though, I had staked the purple sprouting broccoli because all the plants have taken a distinct lean which I will have to rectify.

The weather forecast for next week seems quite pleasant with little wind, so might be able to get on with some winter digging.
gowerbass come gardener
KG Regular

lost my greenhouse 14 x 6 ,insurers coming round this week to assess the damage,havent been to the plot yet but my next door neighbours polytunnell will be in a mess im sure,it was slack before these winds
a bad days fishing beats a good days work
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sorry to read your news Gowerbass come gardener, hope you get things sorted.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Geesh ! Did u have much in the greenhouse? Hope the insurance cough up OK for you gowerbass come gardener
By Thomas Huxley
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic