Are some people stupid or what!!!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Catherine
KG Regular

On Saturday morning we went up to Gordale Scar with our grand daughter. It was a lovely morning, so we decided to go up to the waterfall. It is the first time we have walked up there with Megan and were suprised how many people were on the same path.

Whilst we were looking at the waterfall, which was really spectacular, several 30 somethings's lads arrived and decided that they were going to climb the waterfall.

I am so suprised that they did not injure themselves as the water was really quite strong.

They were only trying to show off with lots of people watching. But they were really pushing it as the air ambulance gets called out to this area on a regular basis because of stupid people like this.

Why do they do it!!!!

Oooh I think I got out of the bed on the wrong side this morning. grrrr.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Catherine, i must confess, i have done some pretty silly things when i was younger, wait a minute, i still do. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Catherine
KG Regular

Dear OH. I must be getting old and short of patience these days. :( How's the grass cutting coming on? We have cut the grass at our allotment for, hopefully the last time this year. :)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Catherine, where i work today, was the last lawn i needed to catch up with. But it's raining now and meant to be getting heavier as the day goes on. It's another big lawn, being well over an acre of grass. :x :)

To make it worse, the lady that i work for is away in London today, quite upsetting really as she always bakes a fresh cake for me, to have with our coffee and chat. :( :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Catherine
Are some people stupid or what!!!

The answer from the edge of Snowdonia is a resounding yes.

Every year a surprisingly large number of people are airlifted off Snowdon and the surrounding peaks, a significant proportion of them dead. Many of the incidents are caused by inexperienced walkers badly equipped for the mountains - some wearing only T-shirts and shoes, or even flip-flops!

Much of the blame can be placed at the door of that friend of the stupid tourist, the mobile phone. The local mountain rescue volunteers have had more call-outs in the past year than ever before. So easy to go to dangerous places secure in the knowledge that if you get into difficulties you can just punch in 999 and someone will come and save you. Then the air ambulance (supported by local fund-raisers) will airlift you to hospital. Or the SAR Seaking will be scrambled from Valley (supported by all taxpayers) to rescue you. Mind you, you might get a famous pilot.

Moving to the coast, we also have sandbanks to get marooned on, cliffs to fall off, lots of sea for jet-skis and powerboats to break down on! The RNLI have been very busy this summer.

Yes, Catherine, we get more than our fair share of mindless plonkers holidaying round here! All quiet now the summer is past :)
Elaine
KG Regular

Hi Catherine. The simple answer to that one, is a resounding YES.
My friend and I used to regularly birdwatch at Flamborough and the antics people got up to on the cliff edge made us very uneasy. Those chalk cliffs are 400 feet high, with regular land falls leaving parts very unstable. We would would watch in horror as idiots would stand right on the cliff edge, peering over. Then there would be the absolute morons skylarking around, dragging their mates to the edge and pretending to chuck each other over. Or the utter fools who let their young children run about unrestrained at the cliff edge. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Then there were the fools who disregarded warnings about the tide and got stuck on the beach as the sea trapped them at the foot of the cliffs, so the lifeboat had to rescue them..or on occasions, the SAR helicopter.

We were always amazed at folks lack of safety awareness. Fortunately we were never there to witness any of the "accidents".
Cheers.
Happy with my lot
pongeroon
KG Regular

You are right about the use of mobile phones, Alan. The emergency services get lots of calls from people who think they have seen an accident and call 999 while continuing on their way. They don't bother to stop to assess the situation or find out any help is needed, by themselves or anyone else. :evil:
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Catherine and Elaine,
I have spent lots of time at both Flamborough and Goredale scar and I will agree that both places are not places for playing the fool. But unfortunately there are those in this world that ARE fools and the best thing that these people can do is become contenders for the Darwin awards.
That said I remember being at Flamborough one sunny day and as it can do in the afternoon it turned foggy. Well there was these two old dears having a picnic near the lighthouse and then the foghorn went off... I hadn't realised that picnic rugs could turn into magic carpets. I swear it levitated at least a foot off the ground with those old dears on it.
regards Sally Wright.
Catherine
KG Regular

Oh Sally that thought just made me laugh so much. Thank you for that.
Geoff
KG Regular

Are you sure it was the foghorn and not the cucumber sandwiches.
Catherine
KG Regular

:shock: :shock: :roll:
The Mouse
KG Regular

pongeroon wrote:You are right about the use of mobile phones, Alan. The emergency services get lots of calls from people who think they have seen an accident and call 999 while continuing on their way. They don't bother to stop to assess the situation or find out any help is needed, by themselves or anyone else. :evil:

That sort of thing used to happen even before mobile phones were invented.
Thirty years ago, someone on a bus in Worcester saw someone 'commit suicide' - throwing themselves over a wall into a canal lock, only yards from we were moored on our narrowboat. Naturally, they rang the police as soon as they could.
The police spent hours dredging the lock and the canal. Finally, after recovering nothing but trolleys and a motorbike, a lady PC wandered up to our boat to ask if we had seen anything.
Well, no we hadn't seen anything, but my husband had been out earlier and when he came back to the boat, he had to jump over the wall from the road because the gate onto the towpath had been locked. Strangely, it had been at exactly the time that the alleged 'suicide' took place. :oops:
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Oh dear Mouse, :oops:
Kind regards,

Elle
alan refail
KG Regular

Monika
KG Regular

Following from your motorbike story, Alan: we unfortunately have to travel along the A65 westwards and the A59 eastwards from Skipton quite frequently and often encounter the most horrendous stupidity, on the former particularly from motorcyclists, often on their way to or from the Lake District. The A59 is a windy road over the Pennines, up hill and down dale with many small country lanes going off, but with huge lorries travelling from coast to coast mixed with tourist traffic and the usual day to day motorists. As the lorries hold the traffic up going up the hills, everybody is madly overtaking on the downward hills and the very few safe straight stretches. It's an absolute nightmare and, although some sections were straightened about 20 years ago, this road should have been completely rebuilt. It is, apparently, the most dangerous piece of trunk road in Britain. In addition, there are frequent landslips which closes the road completely from time to time!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic