Will Summer time end

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Arnie
KG Regular

Hi All :D

Will the Clocks be going back this year :( I am sure I read somewhere that the Government would be keeping the hour on :? Anybody got any answers please :roll:

Kind Regards

Kevin :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
alan refail
KG Regular

Clocks go back 2 am Sunday 31 October.
glallotments
KG Regular

Pity that they aren't staying put - I hate early onset of darkness!
alan refail
KG Regular

glallotments wrote:Pity that they aren't staying put - I hate early onset of darkness!

I must say I'm quite the opposite!

Just when the slow, depressing coming of ever-so-slightly earlier dark every evening is getting wearing, along comes the great kick of GMT returning and it's dark at quarter past five and I know winter's here and in a couple of months the days will lengthen again.
And as an added bonus it's suddenly lighter in the mornings - important for us five am risers :wink:
glallotments
KG Regular

But I know lots of elderly people who find it really depressing to sit inside on their own during the long dark nights. Also it doesn't seem as bad going to work in the dark but coming home when it is really dark and feeling that the evening has ended before it even begun isn't much fun. No seeing the garden until the weekend!
alan refail
KG Regular

glallotments wrote:But I know lots of elderly people who find it really depressing to sit inside on their own during the long dark nights.

Well, I'm old - not "elderly", please. And it makes no difference to me or anyone else whether "dark" is called four o'clock or five o'clock - the nights in midwinter still last sixteen hours or more!
Cider Boys
KG Regular

I'm totally with you Glallotments, as is the vast majority of the Country whether elderly or young.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/c ... ime-change

It would save lives, money and resources.

Barney
glallotments
KG Regular

Sorry of elderly offends you old man! It does make a difference though to sit in by yourself when the nights draw in - my mother-in-law used to dread it and she was an early riser too but there was something about getting up and looking forward to the daylight.
richard p
KG Regular

there is also the argument that that noon, when the sun is at its highest should be at 12 oclock, midday... ie we should be on gmt all year and forget summer time.
as a society weve got artificial light everywhere, street lights, car headlights , torches..so i dont see it matters a jot whether its dark when we go out or come home.... a lot of us end up out and about in the "dark" at both ends of the day anyway. with the move to ever longer working/opening hours a lot of people are working outside of the traditional working day anyway. the only certainty is that whatever "time" we are on somebody will be grumbling that it doesnt suit them...... and a vast propoortion of the population settle in front of the idiot box as soon as they get home so its irrelevant to them when it gets dark outside
alan refail
KG Regular

We are bound by an EU-wide directive - Directive 2000/84/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/smartapi/cgi/s ... l=guichett
Shallot Man
KG Regular

alan refail. Why do we need MP's. we are ruled by our masters in Brussels.
alan refail
KG Regular

Well, only another couple of weeks now and we'll be able to put this annual old chestnut back in its box for another ten months :wink: :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic