Our raised beds

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

EddieJ
KG Regular

deleted
Last edited by EddieJ on Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon EddieJ, well what a transformation.

I know what hard work that must have been, as i used to do similar projects a few years ago.

Very nice to see the before and after photographs, i'm sure there will be lots of very jealous people about! :)

And a very warm welcome to the forum.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Great to see the results of all the hard work, now u can enjoy the fun part :)
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
EddieJ
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Afternoon EddieJ, well what a transformation.
I know what hard work that must have been, as i used to do similar projects a few years ago.

Sadly it still is going to be hard work for a while longer. :(
I ordered 14 cubic metres of stone for the footpaths, and didn't watch as it was being tipped. Given that this very thing was drummed into me as a teenager, I should have known better and when I looked around it was the wrong size stone! I'm having to dig up and barrow away the previously laid pathways that had the correct stone, lay the new bigger stone, then blind the old stone over the top. Not only has the overall distance of pushing all the barrows added up to just over 20 miles, I'm also having to re do it. :(

14 cubic metres of stone, three barrows and just me to push them! :lol:

Wrong size stone..

Correct size stone..

Nature's Babe wrote:Great to see the results of all the hard work, now u can enjoy the fun part :)

Sadly the above is going to delay my fun, plus I still need to sort out the dry storage area, make an outside work bench, make a arbour and several seating areas. You can't ever have enough places to sit, and as I don't have to pay for wood, it makes sense for me to do it. :D
John Walker
KG Regular

It's an impressive project. I'm interested to find out what your bed edges are made from; they look like recycled plastic boards. If they are, I'd be interested to know what led you to use recycled plastic, who the supplier was and how you found actually using the material. Thanks!
EddieJ
KG Regular

Sorry to disappoint John, the edging is simply 200mm x 47mm pressurised treated timber, that has been given two coats of a black waterproofing paint.

I needed somewhere to plant two gooseberry bushes this weekend and finally found use for some Victorian edgings that I was given some 24yrs or so ago. I didn't even own a house then, but knew that they would come in handy one day!

The bushes are now planted in the outside two, and I'm going to put an obelisk in the centre one to grow a climbing rose up. I'll also underplant it with some lavender. :)

I have also started to organise the 'free' lorry body front to use as storage. I laid some bricks around the parimeter, then filled the area with concrete. The next stage is to make some shelving and possibly doors.

Last edited by EddieJ on Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Very smart indeed EddieJ.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
freddy
KG Regular

Hi Eddie. I must say that THAT is very, VERY neat. [note to self...must try harder]

Cheers...Freddy.
The future aint all it used to be
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Hope the Memsahid dont want to move.
EddieJ
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:Hope the Memsahid dont want to move.

Hey.. You can never have enough manure/fetilizer for the garden!!! :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic