Any idea what variety this BRIGHT ORANGE tomato might be?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Seen on a fruit & veg stall today (and I'm kicking myself for not buying a few just to save their seeds as I do like experimenting with more unusual varieties)

The skin was bright orange (as per the orange fruit), and they were the size of a large mini plum, rather than the micro size cherry plum tomatoes which are sometimes available. They were marked 'English grown' so obviously not an imported variety. They looked highly attractive, and if they're on sale again next week I'll definitely buy a few just for the seeds.

I've grown Ildi & Golden Sweet mini plum varieties this year and they are definitely yellow rather than orange, so it's neither of these.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Primrose, i have grown a variety called Auriga this year, these are a bright orange.
These have cropped very well, and also have a good taste.

But they are larger than the ones you described, these are about the size of a golf ball or slightly larger.

They are growing outside on the allotment.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks OH - I Googled a photo of Auriega, and it's definitely not that one because of the shape.

However, after some further Googling, I think I may have found the answer, in which case, I obviously have expensive tastes because it looks as if if may be "Orange Santa" from Thompson & Morgan, costing £3.99 for 6 seeds. And alas, I probably won't be able to reproduce some cheap plants next year even if I'm able to buy a few from the market stall next week because they're an F1 variety.

However, that has not stopped me this year growing some Ferline F1's from last year's saved seed. The tomatoes were fine, but didn't produce so many tomatoes on each truss as the original F1 plants did.

PS Now I'm even more confused because the Plants of Distinction webside is definitely showing Santa as a RED tomato, and not an orange one.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Primrose, i was wondering if Orange Santa and Santa are different types.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
poppingjay
KG Regular

I'm growing these and they look as you described them... they're doing very well :)

'Orange Banana' Tomato
A fine heirloom tomato - orange and slightly bent! A plum type, so good for making rich orange sauces, but quite sweet and juicy - so also good raw in salads where it adds a great colour.

Fun for children who want to grow something a bit unusual, too.

Orange, slightly bent plum/paste tomatoes with pointy ends. Tall Vine.

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/vinetomatoes.html
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Orange santa?
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Nature's Babe wrote:Orange santa?
oops looks like you already found it. :)
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Primrose
KG Regular

Well, it was either Orange Santa or the Orange Banana which Poppingjay is growing which does look quite similar. I've checked the Orange Banana one out and it doesn't seem to be an F1 variety, so it might be a bit of gamble to get a few fruit and save the seed in the hope of reproducing them next year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic