Prince of hypocrisy

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

armstrom
KG Regular

I agree with you Primrose. PoW was born into the family he was born into. Just as you and I were. I'm not apologising for that and nor shoudl he. I'm just glad he is doing something with his position not just enjoying it - like so many other (far richer) people that have inherited wealth.
armstrom
KG Regular

I also meant to add - if the Windsor Family can have their inherited wealth removed by Act of Parliament, or as a result of the "popular will", why stop there? Why shouldn't anyone with wealth above a certain level forfeit it to the State? Where and how do you draw the line? I'm not trying to be inflammatory - but you have to take into account the practicalities and legalities of forcing a change in ownership of considerable amounts of wealth. My family are certainly not rich, but nevertheless I would be very upset if anyone decided for me that I or any other member of my family should lose their inheritance.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Armstrom,
When a person dies the state takes a very sizeable chunk of your estate in death duties. The immediate Royal Family are exempt from this. Why?They have only in the last few years been made to pay income tax.
There are many examples of how they have the advantage over everybody else. Why do we have to pay the Royal Purse when they are exceedingly wealthy. Pay them expenses like the rest of us have to put up with. This would run into thousands of pounds and not millions as it does now.
JB.
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

I don't have strong views on this subject, but I do think it is very clever having a person who is c-in-c of the armed forces but with no political power. Her Maj can no more order the troops to stage a coup than the PM can decide just to maintain power and not bother with a general election. If he did, the Queen COULD order the troops to take action!

Democracy always has to be a veneer, JB. Otherwise it would be mob rule. The very first western democracy was ancient Athens, and it was a true direct democracy, where the qualifying citizens could assemble in a body and vote for whatever pleased them. This meant not only an increasingly jingoistic imperialism but also some atrociously self-destructive decisions - such as the execution of their most able generals just after a potentially saving victory - on the whim of the moment. Our system, as that of most democratic countries, is not direct but representative, with the result that, theoretically at least, we get competent and knowledgeable people making the decisions.

A bit off topic this, but the real point is that we work with checks and balances. As I've said before, though, a few palaces less won't do the royals any harm.
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Mike,
I guess that is about the most reasoned reply I could ever expect.
Thank you.
JB.
alan refail
KG Regular

Back on topic.

I didn't seem to see much of a "media circus" accompanying the royal campaigner on his progress through the land. By which I mean that the radio and TV news carried almost no mention of events. Was there a conspiracy of silence, or have I just missed something?
Primrose
KG Regular

I think the press were all distracted by the US pastor who wanted to burn copies of the Koran. But that's probably not a topic for discussion here.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Well since you mention it Primrose, it amases me why we put up with the double standards of many muslims.

It seems perfectly in order for them to burn the American and British flags, effigies of Western leaders and wish all us infidels total damnation but woe-betide if anyone hurts their over sensitive feelings.

Bring back the crusades!

Barney
Shallot Man
KG Regular

I agree with Cider Boys. :(
alan refail
KG Regular

Well, how about that for thread drift :!: :!:

Cider Boys wrote:Bring back the crusades!

Thereby proving what a peace-loving religion Christianity is :x :x

Not far from this:

http://protectliberty.us/wp-content/upl ... iolent.jpg
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Alan,
The trouble is that the PoW is on the wrong sort of crusade! I would gladly send him off to war with a sword in his hand and expect the worst
to happen PDQ!
JB.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

It strikes me as a little odd that he wants the Welsh to sponsor tropical rain forrests. Why pick on them - does he think they will connect with the "rain" part of it?

I feel sorry for him. He feels really strongly about protecting the planet but what ever he does he gets stick from the press.

I'm not in favour of having to fork out for people with inherited wealth and think our sponsorship of the Royal family could be trimmed back drastically, but a few of them do try to earn their keep if in our eyes they aren't making a very good job of it.
alan refail
KG Regular

Since religion is creeping into this thread, another question. How much in taxes do religious organisations pay on the vast amount of property they own?
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I did read somewhere, but it may just be hearsay, that places of worship do not have to pay Council Tax, and that people are registering their houses as places of worship to avoid paying this tax.
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi PP

That is indeed true :(
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic