WE NEED LOTS OF SUPPORT

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

pigletwillie
KG Regular

Lizzie - sorry to hear of your struggles. I know, it does take a tremendous amount of willpower not to smoke. Have you tried those awful Nicorette plastic cigarettes at all? I have found them quite helpful. They are quite nasty when you take a puff and they "catch" the back of your throat and make you cough. I only need one a day and yesterday didn't have one at all.

The darndest thing happened. I have to go once a week to be "breathalysed". The first time I blew into the tube, it registered zero. Yesterday, after having NO FAGS at all, and NO Nicorette pens either, it registered ONE. I couldn't believe it. She asked me if I had been in a smoky environment and then I remembered my colleague drove us to college and back and she had a fag both ways!! That's what passive smoking does!*!

22 days with no fags and £80 in the pot :lol: :lol:

Come on Lizzie, I know you can do it. Try those pens. I know it's a hassle to get them but they will help while you're at the lottie. And give up smoking for yourself, not for anyone else. It puts too much pressure on you. Tell yourself you want to live to see your grandchildren (when you finally get them) get married, and while you are living and enjoying good health, you can save up all your dosh and buy something nice (like a pony)!

Good luck Lizzie.
How's that Grock doing? Where is she? Come on Grock - where are you. Are you hiding away and smoking, or are you being good? :lol: :lol:

Love Mrs P
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
peter
KG Regular

Remember that strange man Gunther Von Hagens (I think), did a live disection of a human cadaver on Chanel 4?

My son and I went down to Brick Lane in London a couple of years ago when there was an exhibition of his plastinated human disections.

There was one case with two sets of lungs in.

A pinky red healthy pair.

A smokers pair, a ghastly grey-white speckled with sooty bits.

Remember, most people who die in house fires do not get burnt, it's the smoke that gets them.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Anonymous

OK my little chickabiddies, we are now roughly a month on from your avowed intent to be a non-smoker. How are we getting on?

Mrs P, Lizzie and Grock, have you managed to keep off the evil weed?

I do so hope so.

valmarg
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi Peter

I watched that searies. Fascinating stuff. It was horrible what he showed you, with the lungs and heart etc.

So, not smoking. I have mainly managed it although I have had the odd lapse. My main downfall is at the lottie. I can go all week without a smoke. It doesn't bother me. Once I get to the lottie, I want a fag so I have one. Then I don't have another one for a week. I have £50 in the pot so am still up on the deal.

I just don't know how to get over this lottie bit. I generally only go once a week for over 3 hours and I pop in briefly during the week to water. It's this prolonged period that is the problem. I still fine myself an extra £2.10.

Any ideas chaps? I'm doing really well otherwise, just one sticking point.

I'm very proud of Mrs P. I think you deserve a treat.
Lots of love

Lizzie
ken
KG Regular

You can also try catching a really evil cold. My dad used to smoke 40 a day. The one winter he went down with a terrible cold and couldn't face smoking. And that's when he gave up smoking.
Easy for me to smug. I usually say I used to smoke at school but couldn't afford it once I started working for my living. The truth is, I guess, that I was lucky - it never became a habit and I got bored with it. Anyway, best of luck to everyone who's trying to give up.
Malk
KG Regular

Lizzie, do you have a secret stash of cigarettes at the lottie, do you buy them on the way?

If you didn't have any when you got there would you go out of your way to get them?

Do you borrow them from other allotment holders? If you didn't have the temptation with you, just in case, would you still smoke?

Sorry so many questions.
Welcome to Finland!!
lizzie
KG Regular

I have to pass 4 newsagents and 3 supermarkets to get to the lottie so no way of avoiding shop.

I do tend to sneak one off other lottie holders, but only if offered. It's very much part of what I do down there. Cos it's so difficult to have a fag here without me getting a load of aggro from the family. At the lottie, no probs, just sit back and I enjoy.

I'll just have to go down and not smoke. Simple as that isn't it. Who's the one with the brain, me or the little white stick?!! :shock:
Lots of love

Lizzie
Tigger
KG Regular

Keep going girls - it's got to be worth it.
Malk
KG Regular

Try tellling the allotment gang you've quit and you need their support. No borrowed ciggies. Most people, even hardened smokers, respect someone trying to give up.

Passing the shops will just have to be an act of will power on your part. I don't envy you. I have my own allotment rituals and feel quite depressed if I don't get to do them.

Maybe trying inventing a new ritual that can take the cigarette's place. Writing up in a little diary all you've managed to do at the plot today. Or going around and visiting a different plot each day to get some new inspiration.

Good luck.
Welcome to Finland!!
Streps
KG Regular

Just wanted to add my congratulations for the quitters! I know how hard it is but also how absolutely worth it it is too. Comfort will come.

This is a site that really kept me going in the early stages http://groups.msn.com/FreedomFromTobaccoQuitSmokingNow

Steph x - Free and healing for 1 Year, 10 Months, 3 Weeks, 3 Days, 22 hours and 14 minutes (693 days). I have saved £4,163.55 by not smoking 20,817 cigarettes. My Quit Date: 08/06/2004. Quit keeper by www.dedicateddesigns.com/qk
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Hi Peeps

Mrs P here. Thought it was about time I put my two penn'orth in. 31 days without a cigarette, so there must be £124 in the pot (can't count it because Piglet sealed the lid down). I was 10st 10lbs three weeks ago. Today - 11st 8lbs :shock: I will need to break the money pot open to buy some bigger clothes! Also I seemed to have been plagued with mouth ulcers for the past month. It might be the Nicorette pens, but I also keep biting the inside of my mouth when I'm talking or eating :cry: Yesterday was the first time I felt nauseous with the smell of passive smoke. I'm glad. :)

Streps - well done - you certainly give me encouragement. There are times when I could really enjoy one, but I know I won't ever have another one. Have you saved the money??? If so, have you spent any? Are you saving for something special?? Congratulations! You deserve a big reward.

Lizzie - Well done for the days you don't smoke. I wonder - when you buy, say, 10 ciggies on the way to the lottie, how many do you smoke when you're there, and what do you do with the ones left over?? :?

Now then Grock, come on - you must come clean. How many have you had? Or, are you being a good girl? Please tell. Are you still using those dratted Nicotine pens??

Love, Mrs P
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well done Mrs P, gosh you are doing well.
As for biting the inside of your mouth, you might find it helps if you don't talk with your mouth full of chocolate cake :wink:

Kind regards the reliable Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fol like an old fool.
lizzie
KG Regular

Hello Mrs P

I'm very very very proud of you. Well done.

Don't worry about the weight gain, you can tackle that another time.

When I buy my 10 i'm afraid that I smoke the lot on the lottie. I also fine myself another £2.10 for being very stupid. I haven't had one since last Saturday. I go to the plot today and smoke 10.

Think I need to be very severely punished for my stupidity. I tend to do that by hitting myself in the pocket. Best way to do it in my case.

I'm going back to the plot on Friday so I am determined to NOT buy any. Once I break the lottie thing i'll be sorted. I don't use the pens or anything like that. Apparently, the patches interfere with my HRT patches so that's out.

Still, there's £50 in the pot so i'm not too depressed about it. Just annoyed at myself for being such a wimp.!!!
Lots of love

Lizzie
Chantal
KG Regular

Try not taking any money with you Lizzie, then if you want them you'll have to steal them, which I know you won't do. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Streps
KG Regular

pigletwillie wrote:Streps - well done - you certainly give me encouragement. There are times when I could really enjoy one, but I know I won't ever have another one. Have you saved the money??? If so, have you spent any? Are you saving for something special?? Congratulations! You deserve a big reward.

Thank you! I wish I'd saved the money! I saved £2 a day for the first couple of months to treat myself to new shoes and a handbag but that was about it. I always said when I'd quit that my older two could have music lessons, so eldest has been playing clarinet and middle daughter violin since I quit so I do have satisfaction in that.

Sorry to hear you're suffering with mouth ulcers, it's quite a common symptom of quitting. But have heart, your taste and sense of smell is changing for the better.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic