Sheep Manure Pellets

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Ayeweedin
KG Regular

Joe Maiden uses sheep manure pellets in nearly all his articles and on a DVD I have and yet I cant seem to source any. Does anybody know where I can purchase this wondrous product? Is poultry manure pellets just as good?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Ayeweedin, i haven't seen this product for sale either.

I think pelleted poultry manure should do just as good a job as any other product if used at the recommended rate.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Ayeweedin
KG Regular

Thanks, yes I think that my best course is to use the chicken manure pellets - it seems easy to get a hold of.
alan refail
KG Regular

Morning Ayeweedin

Sheep pellets have gone through a number of incarnations, all promoted by Joe Maiden.
Twenty years ago, when I was allotment gardening in Leeds Joe introduced us to "Dags" - bagged sheep manure and wool (named after the old word dag, meaning the matted mass of shit and wool you see at the rear end of a sheep and which has to be removed before shearing). "Dags" was loose, not pelleted, and made a great fertiliser, both quick and slow release. But it did tend to blow about if not well covered. Soon afterwards Joe, who was involved in the production and marketing of "Dags" teamed up with a local printing works in Leeds and they started producing a pelleted form, whose name escapes me after all this time (we continued through habit to call it "Dags"). I recall buying van-loads of the stuff to sell in the allotments shop.

Enough of the history! I have had a google about and find, to my surprise, that the latest reincarnation of the product is called "Slug Gone", still promoted by Joe and marketed as a slug repellent mulch. But it seems to be the same as the original "Dags".

You can find the details here...

http://www.sluggone.com/

Hope this helps

Alan
alan refail
KG Regular

There's an interesting alternative from New Zealand called

5hit.jpg
5hit.jpg (16.78 KiB) Viewed 3965 times

but I don't imagine you'll qualify for free delivery :wink:
Ayeweedin
KG Regular

Thanks all for answers and suggestions. Alan I too had found the slug gone but it didn't seem to me to be quite the same thing as he was using in the video - it appeared to be called Bloomin' Marvellous. In the article he wrote in this magazine he called it Sheep-It. Interesting history though. I think I'll probably settle for chicken manure pellets.
alan refail
KG Regular

Thank, Ayeweedin

Blooming Marvellous - that was the name I could remember.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic