Foxes

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

robo
KG Regular

we are banned by our council to shoot fox's on any council owned land even the allotments, on our allotment there is a lot of chicken owners me included some have had the entire flocks wiped out by fox's if we trap them we are still not allowed to kill them but have to set them free away from where they where trapped
some years ago a mate of mine found a young seal sunning itself on a beach in wales it was near high tide and he thought it was stranded so he decided to try and roll it into the surf, as soon as he touched it the seal went for his hand he almost lost it,they are another pet hate of mine they are decimating the seas of fish life, we even see them coming down the mersey looking for food there are thousands in the mouth of the riverDeee and increasing every year
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

What really makes me angry is when London Boroughs round up their urban foxes and dump them in the country where they cause havoc - the country fox is indeed a different creature.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
peter
KG Regular

At work in North London we have had two diesel generators disabled by foxes, they got inside, secure and (relatively) warm due to the minimum temperature electric sump warmer, bored or stressed they chewed the electrical wiring harness.

These are standby generators, large-shed sized items, we had to get a well known pest control firm to fox proof them, actually rat proof as well. Welded wire mesh attached to the inside of the compound fences and covering the cooling air intake and hot air exhaust.

Now one of the furry nuisances has taken up residence in the air-conditioning cage, warm under cover & dry, so we've got to extend the fence to over 2.5m high and cover it with 2" welded wire mesh.

Overall this had cost us in excess of £6,000.

Apparently there is good business "in town" fox proofing supermarket delivery areas. :shock:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
pumpkinworm
KG Regular

I have to admit i do have a soft spot for foxes, but i also fully understand they they are a wild animal even though they do live around us. I would never approach a fox unless it was injured and needed help. Some people look on them as vermin but i don't. They will kill rats which are alot more dangerous than foxes themselves, that alone in my book is a plus for them :)
Stephen
KG Regular

Bringing this back to the top.
What are the effective fox repellents?
Ultrasonic based units get generally good reports with a minority of disappointed users. I assume fox hearing is much like dogs so goes up to frequencies beyond human hearing.
On a search I also found a unit based on red LEDs (very expensive for a couple of randomly flashing pair of LEDs).
I saw the local fox on the allotment last week, I was sitting in the shed (out of the rain) and it strolled past, then did a quick bunk when I yelled at it. It retreated whence it had come, so I could make a guess where its earth is (some where in a plot-sized "wild-life" area (i.e. untended/unusable space at one end of the alottment garden). This space is next-door-but-one to me.
I'd like to repel the beasts because of the damage.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

What a shame that all these wild creatures that have to live by their wits and catch their own food are such a nuisance to us.
Weed
KG Regular

The resident foxes on our site were in the main most welcome...they kept down the rats and we never suffer from Rabbits
This year they have not been seen and the rat population has multiplied... we can only assume that our 'plague' of badgers have seen them off.

We have a special offer on at the moment with badgers.... order one today and get the rest of the family free! :wink:
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
Stephen
KG Regular

I'll explain why I would like to deter the foxes.
- the damage to crops, bushes - the clearly play on the crops occasionally.
- I'd like to have more hedgehogs, the only evidence of them on the lottie is hollowed out skins wher the the foxes have made supper out of them.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic