Elderflower

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

goldilox
KG Regular

Hi Johnboy,

Thanks for your concern - no, we haven't had any flooding here, but did get a fair amount of rain. We live on a hill too, so that helps. The river Gers is at the bottom of the hill, but could never get this far up :D
goldilox
KG Regular

Hi Alan - yep, that's the one! . . . and that was a very quick reply!!!
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

Monika,you can make the cordial without tartaric acid,but it only keeps for several weeks in the fridge,but you can freeze it if you want,the acid stops any yeast forming.for every pint of the juice add 50ml lemon juice and 350 grms of sugar.ENJOY
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Galatea
KG Regular

Looking forward to making (and freezing) a big batch of cordial this weekend - the Elderflowers are at their absolute peak here right now and with no rain in prospect I guess they'll go over fairly quickly.
Monika
KG Regular

I found some citric acid yesterday at a small chemist, so it'll be elderflower picking this weekend!
Tigger
KG Regular

That was a lucky find Monika. There's hardly any chemists selling it in powder form now because it's used by people making up certain illegal drug combinations. :roll: Boots have it on their 'don't stock it' list because of people buying it in big quantities for innapropriate use.

The brewing shops must have similar problems but take a different approach, as they continue to make it available.
Monika
KG Regular

Tigger, that explains why the shop assistant, before selling to it me, asked the pharmacist if she could. She, the pharmacist, looked at me and then gave the ok! I obviously didn't look like a drug maker/user - phew. And it's only a very small box!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I can imagine all the drug folk, now turning up in cooks aprons. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic