Bits and bobs No16 Spring.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning all, a new Bits and bobs for the Spring that still hasn't quite arrived yet, especially for any members on the West side of the country.

But don't despair, it will be with us before long.

Anyway, there's normally something going on on the forum to lift ones spirits a little, even if it's just my lack of the correct use of punctuation, i can just imagine what you teachers are saying to yourselves sometimes. :)

So, is anyone doing anything special today?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Suzie
KG Regular

Oh, looks like I need to go into the archives to see Nos 1 to 15 :)

Today will be mostly spent with more sorting, getting rid, not the most exciting way to spend Easter 2010 but it has to be done and I'm looking forward to the move - especially now that I have a lottie to go set up :D
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Good morning OH,

Just got back from a long walk along the seafront. Lovely sunrise earlier, but back to overcast grey now.
Drove up to London yesterday to visit my daughter who only has a few weeks to go before grandchild number 6 arrives :D
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
alan refail
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:So, is anyone doing anything special today?

No :lol:
glallotments
KG Regular

I'd never complain about your punctuation OH. I just worry that some of my typos are taken for ignorance - but that is down to my background rather than anything else and obsessing about having it correct on the whiteboard - interactive whiteboard of couse!
Clive.
KG Regular

We had a ride out to a diy superstore....not the sort of place I regularly frequent...and certainly not on a bank holiday..!!

Anyway, I noticed Mr Titchmarsh there....
I saw him several times....not sure he was enjoying it either.?...He was flat board :wink:
Suspect it was worth his while being there though. :wink: .....

I went to get a Wilkinson Sword/Fiskars Power Digging Fork...to replace the nicely run in one that is about to move house to Gloucestershire. :?

Now I think of these large stores as anonymous great places...we got to the checkout with the fork...me clutching my debit card and Mum holding the fork...and the checkout lady said to Mum..."a lady phoned up this morning and asked about these was it you.?"....It was... so suddenly we seemed in a friendly small world again.. :)....

I bet she thought I was an evil devil seemingly buying my Mother such a chunky great fork to use... :shock: :wink:

A very useful fork....albeit having a modern metal shaft and plastic top handle...but the tines are of the lovely diamond back old Potato fork style..with a nice curve to them and made of a bit of good steel.....do note that they seem to have two lengths of shaft....the taller one being my choice.
Lincolnshire gardeners and longer shafts and all that.....

Clive.
Victoria
KG Regular

alan refail wrote:
oldherbaceous wrote:So, is anyone doing anything special today?

I have been planting out broad bean plants and shallots. Plus planted 2 apple trees. Hubby trundled about with the rotovator. Spuds to go in on Wednesday which is my next day off.

Lovely moment at the allotments this morning when two men in a van drew up, hauled out two baskets and let out racing pigeons.
Monika
KG Regular

I dug out three large buckets (ex-Brinicombe lamb feed) full of creeping buttercups from our wild garden patch. I do this every spring because I fear otherwise the whole area would be overrun by the buttercups and every year there appear to be just as many. It is rather heavy soil but the many other wildflowers and grasses like it there - so I'll just have to put up with this annual chore.

Also sowed a dozen pots with Giant Single sunflowers.

Planned for tomorrow, weather permitting: pruning three enormous buddleia bushes on the allotment because I want the sticks for pea sticks! The thick part will be shredded and put in the compost bins.
Clive.
KG Regular

I continued the dismantle of the old chicken run this afternoon. :( ...

It sort of fits the aged parents thread..as the very reason the chicken run appeared here back in the mid 1970s was because Mum & Dad bought Grandma some new pullets....but Grandad wasn't happy about this as he felt that they should be giving up keeping any stock and was very concerned that his wife would tumble in going round into the old stackyard to look after them.
The agreement was that the chickens stayed until we completed a hut and run at home here.. Hence the old back lawn soon had said accommodation put in place..and thus we started to keep chickens here.

Hens did make a return to the old stackyard later as Grandma really missed keeping some stock and so we kept each batch for a year and then they moved there.

More recently the ageing parents applies here and we felt it was time to cut down...and poultry has not been kept for several years and it is regular fact that when such sheds/runs fall out of use they seem to deteriorate at an accelerated pace....hence the dismantle. :(

The 2 small huts want new roofing felt and will remain...but whether the old back lawn will make a return I don't quite yet know...where years ago i used to set up my "tent" made from the clothes horse and a sheet.. :) :wink:

So there we are...another long winded Clive story. :wink: ..typed while I calm down from some fun in trying to check my car insurance payment online. :shock: :wink: ...

I best go and check again to see if it works now.. :?

Clive. :wink:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Alan, the man of many Avatars! :)

Elle's Garden
KG Regular

One of the few benefits of working at home is that you can run out to the garden between phone calls! I have managed to mow with the new mower that Tim brought home mid morning (thanks ebay), so now the swamp out back looks like a garden again, also sowed carrots and parsnips in my raised bed. Along with a bit of repotting and washing finally drying outside I feel like spring is really springing along at last. :D :D
Kind regards,

Elle
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

And whats more Elle, it looks as if we are in for a few more nice days too. :)

Elle's Garden
KG Regular

I truly hope so - feels like it has been a long time coming...
Kind regards,

Elle
Clive.
KG Regular

Are you planning to take weather from East, West or the middle of the country Old H'..??

Because I note our weather vane moved around to the East during late afternoon......

Clive. :wink:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Cive, i don't mind where it comes from as long as it nice. :)

I also noticed the wind had turned, this morning i sent Old Codger some smoke signals from a bonfire, but this afternoon he wouldn't have seen them. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic