Rich Londoners with second homes rule the rooster! OK?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

macmac
KG Regular

We live next door to a childrens nursery .
I rest my case.
Although it's not the lovely kids giggling ,singing etc it's the parents 8am rushing little mites "mummies got a meeting in 20mins "
Oh for the sound of tractors and crows :)
sanity is overrated
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Very quiet here this morning, just the birds singing.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

Yesterday morning the birds were giving it some sing at 3-30am...must have been getting on early so they could have the afternoon off due the heat...

Think they'll be singing to keep warm today.......

Clive.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Chantal,
I could hear the silence from here! :wink:
JB.
Primrose
KG Regular

Can I please volunteer to be one of those who walk in the fields to clean up cow poo in plastic bags? (On condition, of course, that I can recycle it for my vegetable patch rather than placing it in one of those dog poo recycling bins!).
JohnN
KG Regular

Hi "Mouse"
I like your idea for a "ruralship test". Might be fun to think up some possible questions, together with the "correct" answers, and answers one might get from "townies".
Suggested Q.1 You are continually disturbed by next door's hens noisily laying eggs. Do you (a) shoot the lot of them (b) Sneak in at night and steal the eggs. (c) Say how much you enjoy a new-laid egg and offer your neighbour a fair price for a regular supply.
John N
Primrose
KG Regular

I like the idea of a "ruralship test". Here's another exam question:
You move into a house a few yards away from the church. On Christmas Eve, the bells start ringing at 11 p.m. for the Midnight service.
Do you:

a) Phone the Police/Environment Dept to complain about noise disturbance,
b) Turn up the audio system in your lounge where you're having a drinks party to drown out the sound,
c) Say to yourself "Ah, they're ringing Grandsire Doubles and that tenor's clipping No. 5 at backstroke."
Elderflower
KG Regular

Don`t like being called a 'townie'.
Feels like being sneered at.
OH and I moved from the village because we had to work and can`t get back because our suburban semi won`t fetch enough to get us a village house nowadays.

Oversensitive? Maybe.......

I`ll get me coat...............
JohnN
KG Regular

Sorry Elderflower, just using the (too) common terminology. Slap accepted. Can't use wrist now, you have quite a slap! :(
madasafish
KG Regular

We have the best of both worlds. Live right on the edge of a small town- all supermarkets of every type within 8 miles... fields on the back, a National Trust Garden across the fields and the Peak National Park within 15 miles drive..

Who wants to live in the country when it's full of peasants or farmers or toffs?
:-)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I enjoy being a peasant, but i do understand why people wouldn't want to live near me. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Chantal
KG Regular

We're in a similar position to Madasafish. Front of the house onto an estate, back of the house onto the old Great Central Railway linear park and nature reserve beyond which are the Rugby School polo fields and farm and then nothing for two miles but open countryside. Allotment at the end of the road and what's more, until Rocky moved to Worcestershire, a cock crowing at dawn with absolutely no complaints!
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
madasafish
KG Regular

I like to complain about the peasants which crow early in the morning. They are wild and intractable..

Sorry I mean pheasants...

Treatment of course for both is the same: let them eat cake or lead...:-)
Chantal
KG Regular

Actually, thinking about it, the muntjac deer freak me out with their strange barking in the wee small hours. I don't really object, it just sounds so strange it gives me the creeps.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Primrose
KG Regular

Chantal's comment about the noise of muntjac deer reminds me of the spine curdling sound of foxes during the mating season. On more than one occasion our local police have been called out in the middle of the night because somebody phoned them thinking somebody was screaming because they'd been attacked. After a while you get used to it, but the first time you hear it, it does sound rather alarming.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic