Rich Londoners with second homes rule the rooster! OK?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

Not OK with me! I feel sorry for the poor allotment holders and the Parish Council of Burnham Market. Incomers have put house prices out of the reach of local people, now they want to deprive them of their poultry. In these parts, not noted for welcoming incomers, houses have been known to burn :evil:

What would they do if they had our morning blackbirds singing from 4.30? Or maybe they've had them all eradicated already!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rrer=yahoo
Elderflower
KG Regular

A not-uncommon story this!
My sister lives in a small rural village where the incomers have complained about the honking of the Canada geese flying into a nearby lake. :roll: (and the church bells of a Sunday morning.)
Primrose
KG Regular

Maybe all estate agents selling property in rural areas should be forced to hand out the following information sheet to all potential purchasers:

You are buying a property in a rural area. Please remember:

Cows moo, sh*t and block the roads when they are being moved from one pasture to another, or to be milked. YOU need milk. Get used to it.

Cocks crow. Men watch football. Cocks are not stopping you watching football so let them do their own thing. Get used to it.

The church and its bells were here before you were. They will be here after you have turned to dust. Get used to it.

We have no street lighting so that we can enjoy the stars. Get used to it.
Elaine
KG Regular

Everywhere you go, most of the beautiful rural towns and villages are full of holiday homes, depriving someone who would love to live there, (especially local born folks) the chance of doing so. It makes me angry that these Holiday home hoorays then have the brass neck to complain about country sounds/church bells/ animals in the road etc etc., or anything else which displeases them.....I would give my eye teeth to live in a rural area such as Burnham Market.

Maybe it's about time there was a limit put on how many homes can be used solely for holiday lets, in our beautiful places? There will come a time when there will be nothing BUT holiday homes in some of these rural retreats. Then what? Ghost towns with no-one there in winter.
Shame.
Cheers!
Happy with my lot
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

We are very lucky in our little village, we have some estate houses that belong to Woburn Abbey and still have some estate workers in, the others are let out to whoever.
But the biggest bonus we have is, we also have ten houses and a small holding that belong to the village and get let to people from the vilage first. This really does provide the village with a backbone of how the village needs to remain.

We do get a few negative comments now and again, about chickens and such things, but that's as far as it goes.

I have got the matches ready, just incase things change. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Elderflower
KG Regular

What a good idea OH!
My other half and I moved to the suburbs to be near work but promised ourselves that we`d move back to the village when we retired.
Unfortunately, when that happened the amount our suburban semi would fetch would just about get us a garden shed in Wiltshire (his home county).
When we went to look at his Grandad`s old tied cottage it had a Porsche parked outside! :shock:
glallotments
KG Regular

When booking a gite in France it often states be aware that you will be staying in the country. etc. You may have mice and insects in your house. Noise from etc etc can be expected.

It's a bit like when new people take on an allotments plot - seems idyllic but people often are not prepared for hard work and the fact that weeds just keep growing.
Chantal
KG Regular

I read this in the Telegraph yesterday and am still spitting angry (again). If I go and stay in London I don't whine on about the noise of traffic, the emergency vehicle sirens, the general din of living in a city. If people want to live in the country then they should accept the noise of the country. What is WRONG with these MORONS? :roll:

A village farm near here was forced to "silence" his chickens which were keeping the neighbours awake. The farm had chickens for nearly two centuries, the new housing estate was a mere six months old. Buy a house next to a farm...
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Johnboy
KG Regular

I live about 1.5 miles from anywhere between two villages the smaller of the villages has 25% holiday cottages and the other village is full of old retired yesterdays people who have the idea that because they were something during their working lives everybody should give them hallowed respect in their retirement. The net result is that the village is split and now nothing happens because the retired people have no idea how the countryside and country villages operate. One new incomer bought a house next to the Church and then complained of the church bells and he was told that if he didn't like it to 'piss off' back to whence he came which he duly obliged. He even sold the house incurring about a £10,000. loss in order to get away back to Birmingham.
The balance of power in the village is now in the hands of the incomers and the parish council is full of them now because they vote for each other and they outvote the original inhabitants.
The other trick that they have is to co-opt their cronies onto the council which sadly is perfectly legal and many of the councillors have never been elected in the first place.
The local authority is Unitary body and it means that the parish council holds and can wield an awful amount of clout and it means that not only the village but the whole parish which is very rural is governed by a crowd of yesterdays people and is going nowhere very fast!
Rant over!
JB.
alan refail
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Maybe all estate agents selling property in rural areas should be forced to hand out the following information sheet to all potential purchasers:

You are buying a property in a rural area. Please remember:

Cows moo, sh*t and block the roads when they are being moved from one pasture to another, or to be milked. YOU need milk. Get used to it.

Cocks crow. Men watch football. Cocks are not stopping you watching football so let them do their own thing. Get used to it.

The church and its bells were here before you were. They will be here after you have turned to dust. Get used to it.

We have no street lighting so that we can enjoy the stars. Get used to it.

Brilliant idea, Primrose :)

However I can't imagine them doing it :(

Up till recently local estate agents (under pressure from local activists, it has to be admitted) included in their adverts a statement along the lines of: "If you buy a property in this area please remember that Gwynedd has its own culture and language - please respect the culture and learn the language.
Unfortunately, as the local activists have become inactive, the advice has disappeared :(

Johnboy wrote: The balance of power in the village is now in the hands of the incomers and the parish council is full of them now because they vote for each other and they outvote the original inhabitants.

That is never a problem round here, as the Community Council meetings are all held in Welsh :wink:
The Mouse
KG Regular

Why don't we introduce a ruralship test . Anyone wanting to move out into the countryside (or purchase property there) must pass this before their wishes will even be considered. :twisted:

Maybe there could also be a five-year trial period, with no-questions-asked deportation back to the cities for anyone suspected of trying impose city ways on us! :D
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
lizzie
KG Regular

What the hell are these idiots moaning about? i would lose a limb if it would get me my little house in the country. I would love the whole thing, church bells, the animals.............everything. It's a damn site better to what I have to listen to round here..............local kn**heads screaming and shouting up and down the street at 3 in the morning.

My reply would be to put up and shut up or piss off and let local people have their village back.

Rant over.........normal service will resume
Lots of love

Lizzie
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi

Me I would just love to live in the country, but I would have to have a weekend retreat / apartment in the city, I need the hustle and bustle of the City, also I would not have to use the car as much as everything would hopefully be within walking distance.

Regards

Kevin :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Geoff
KG Regular

It's a pain living in the country. I took the dog for a walk tonight and kept finding the farmers had filled the fields with stock. There were sheep and lambs that I had difficulty stopping her chasing then we came across cows with suckling calves and they started chasing her. What's more all these animals had been defecating all over the place, every time I looked up to admire the view or try and spot the bird I could hear singing I stepped in something nasty. I'm expected to carry poly bags and clean up after the dog, why doesn't the farmer have to clean up after his animals? After all I was almost following a public footpath. Something needs to be done, must contact the new coalition.
"Rich Londoners with second homes rule the rooster! OK?". I could qualify as one of these but I am neither rich nor a Londoner and when I moved into the country and did the hated thing of converting a barn I was only 5 miles from where I worked.
macmac
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:It's a pain living in the country. I took the dog for a walk tonight and kept finding the farmers had filled the fields with stock. There were sheep and lambs that I had difficulty stopping her chasing then we came across cows with suckling calves and they started chasing her. What's more all these animals had been defecating all over the place, every time I looked up to admire the view or try and spot the bird I could hear singing I stepped in something nasty. I'm expected to carry poly bags and clean up after the dog, why doesn't the farmer have to clean up after his animals? After all I was almost following a public footpath. Something needs to be done, must contact the new coalition.
"Rich Londoners with second homes rule the rooster! OK?". I could qualify as one of these but I am neither rich nor a Londoner and when I moved into the country and did the hated thing of converting a barn I was only 5 miles from where I worked.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
sanity is overrated
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic