Wife has declared a 'Foxwa'

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

JohnN
KG Regular

Better half and I are usually tolerant of garden invaders and enjoy visits from foxes etc. But she has now declared war, after two visits from a fox cub to her lovely new roses, given to us for our "Golden" a few weeks ago and planted in big tubs by the summerhouse.
The first visit, at night, left a deepish hole beside the root of one rose. We thought squirrel. Then last evening, just before dark, we looked out and there was a fox cub busy digging everything out of the same pot, and I do mean everything. The rose was lying several feet away on the lawn (the cub must have dragged it there with its teeth), and almost all the earth was scattered on the lawn. She banged on the window and the fox fled.
But we wonder why it was digging? I can only think that there may have been some old chicken manure in the soil I used and it smelt this.
The roses are now under protective gubbins that would keep the Mafia out of Fort Knox.
John N
madasafish
KG Regular

Bonemeal used as fertiliser?
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi John

Why not give this a try?

PISS OFF FOX
John
KG Regular

Here we have declared a catwa, rabbitwa, ratwa, mousewa, molewa, slugwa, volewa, sparrow-wa and a pidgeonwa.
Oh the joys of living out in the sticks!

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Primrose
KG Regular

I've discovered that chicken manure pellets are a definite invitation to a fox to go exploring and digging and I use them a lot. Before we started to feed our local visiting lame fox I often noticed holes in the front garden where she had been digging. Now we put food our for her, the soil is not touched so she's obviously going for the easy option.
Monika
KG Regular

Can one still buy Renardine? It's evil smelling stuff but it works a treat against foxes and cats!
alan refail
KG Regular

Monika wrote:Can one still buy Renardine? It's evil smelling stuff but it works a treat against foxes and cats!

Banned in 2005.
Gerry
KG Regular

As Madasafish says..."Bonemeal". I used to put it under almost any shrub I was planting, but since I moved here, every time I used it, every plant was dug up, so I put a banana skin under them now.

Regards, Gerry.
peter
KG Regular

Some people get very "fluffy bunny" over foxes these days.
Witness the outcry when a Cricket Club decided to deal with one digging holes in their wicket! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/8621089.stm

I await the backlash of a JohnNwa! :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic