Charity

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Contacted Council to take away a 32 inch digital TV, charming young lady suggested that as it was still in working order, that I donate it to a charity & gave me the phone no:. On phoning said charity, was curtly told they only accept FLAT SCREEN TVs.
glallotments
KG Regular

We had something similar once when we changed our three piece suite. We were told that the charity could only accept it if we delivered it! It would have been fun trying to get it in the car!
macmac
KG Regular

You could try your local freecycle :)
sanity is overrated
Primrose
KG Regular

People are getting awfully fussy these days arn't they? We took some stuff to our local Age Concern Charity warehouse a few weeks ago. There were loads of those bulky old TV's there going for an absolute song but nobody seemed to want them. We're such a wasteful society. People only seem to want the latest fashions and styles, even though many domestic consumables still have lots of life left in them.
Tel
KG Regular

Charity dear heart,
you will lose your tele. signal in due course with your old steam driven box.
Keep your pekker up!
luv.
retropants
KG Regular

I still have by big old fat telly, and its not going anywhere until it passes on!
Colin_M
KG Regular

I agree with macmac.

Every item I've ever put on Freecycle usually gets a reply within the hour! I can't answer for older tellys, but for everything I've put on Freecycle, people have turned up and collected it.

If anyone needs further info on Freecycle & how to get going, let us know or send me a PM
alan refail
KG Regular

Another angle on "giving to charity".

When we last moved house 10 years ago we took several vanloads of saleable stuff (books, furniture, clothes etc) to our large local Oxfam branch. I was amazed to see a line of those large commercial wheelie bins in the yard. On asking I was told that they were full of the "rubbish" (i.e. broken/dirty items people had "dumped" on Oxfam, which they were now having to pay to have removed.
Primrose
KG Regular

I have a personal guideline about what I donate to charity shops, and what goes down to the Council Tip. If it's something which I would be prepared to buy myself if I found myself in need of it, I donate. If it's not of a standard to serve an adequate purpose in our own home, it goes down to the Tip. Having wandered around some car boot sales, I'm astonished at some of the broken down junk which people try to sell. But I'd rather they tried to dispose of their junk there rather than dump it on charity shops which then have to pay money for its disposal.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

That's just what I think Primrose. I've been astonished to see the total rubbish they sell at some car boot sales. I've stopped going because I reckon I've got better junk in my cellar than some people are trying to sell. You've spurred me on to take some to the charity shop.

I'm still using my big bulky TV with a digi box until it wears out.

My next concern is what is going to happen to all my perfectly good radios when radio goes digital. We weren't consulted whether we wanted to go digital or not, but it looks like we're going to have to waste vast quantities of radios on top of all the TVs that have been thrown out, whether we want to or not.
Elderflower
KG Regular

Eh? What`s that?
Will I have to get a new tranny?
When? :shock:
alan refail
KG Regular

Elderflower wrote:Eh? What`s that?
Will I have to get a new tranny?
When? :shock:

Not for another 5 years at least :)
Elderflower
KG Regular

Phew! Thanks for that. I`ve got an ancient tranny up at the allotment for those rainy afternoons in the shed. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic