Frost alert!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well it looks pretty grim over the allotments for most people, it's a job to tell how much damage has been done until the frost has gone, we will just have to wait and see.

But on the bright side, it's Thursday, and just loveThursdays. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

Dear OH

You do realise that's it's Thursday the thirteenth :twisted:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Alan, i do indeed but, i thrive on defying superstitions. :)

Clive.
KG Regular

White frost again this morning....on cars, frames and greenhouse roof...and tatey ridges that were pulled up a bit more yesterday evening. I have just been along with the watering can again...

On the radio yesterday it mentioned the coldest temp' for the time of year since 1996.... perhaps that was when we arrived at work to find the selling plants ice glazed over..... the water sprinkler had been set to come on and that was the glazing source. I moved the Osteospermums with ice glaze into the shade and they survived with just a slight darkening of the leaves.

I suspect the Kestrel Potatoes at work will have taken another bashing.....I had chosen not to pull the soil up to them after their frosting ....leaving them to start to grow forward again before ridging.

Clive.
madasafish
KG Regular

Well despite the forecast -4C, no frost. I reckon - from my early morning run - about 2 to 3C.

Waste of paraffin switching on heater..

Nice and sunny here but only about 12C tops forecast.

Our crab apple blossom is still out : after 2 weeks...
Elaine
KG Regular

I've just come back from our allotment. :( What a shame....I've lost six tomato, four sweet peppers and two Cape Gooseberry plants in the greenhouse. :( ( still in pots, not planted in the borders yet.) All were well protected by fleece around the plants and bubble wrap on the glass. One of the cucumbers looks a bit iffy too. Two rows of cauliflowers on the plot have also gone beyond salvation and the tops of the rocket potatoes have gone over, but there is still green growth there, so some hope that we will get a crop. The broad beans are fine and the peas look a bit yellowy and sulky.

Makes me want to cry...my poor babies! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Looking at other plots, folks have lost all sorts of crops. I was surprised to find one bloke really upset about losing his runner beans....I don't plant mine out until June, in fact they have just germinated in pots in the greenhouse. He says he always plants them out at the beginning of May...bet he will think twice next year.

How has everyone else fared?

Cheers
Happy with my lot
Monika
KG Regular

So sorry about your losses, Elaine, I hope you still have enough seed left to start again. There's certainly still time to re-sow some things and perhaps you could buy tomato and pepper plants?

We had - 4 last night but because it was expected, I had wrapped everything well up at home and the potatoes on the allotment were well earthed up. The broad beans had flopped down and I feared the worst but I watered them before the sun reached them and they are ok.

Of non-vegetables, some of the new growth on our rose hedge, the buddleias, perennials and even ivy has been blackened!

This afternoon, when the wind turned to the south west, it was like the start of spring - suddenly everything felt warmer and softer.
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:But on the bright side, it's Thursday, and just loveThursdays. :)

Dear OH, what is so special about Thursdays?? I like them because they are very nearly Friday....

Our forecast is a bit milder I think tonight, but everthing is covered and away as usual - even the already frosted potatoes as the main stems look like they might be able to leaf up.
Kind regards,

Elle
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

To be honest Elle, i just love every day. :)

mrs l
KG Regular

My asparagus are all limp due to the frost, I only hope it doesn,t affect the roots as I've never had this happen before. I have cut them off rather than leave them on to rot and I,ll just have to wait and see if I get some more spears come up. Fingers crossed as I do like my asparagus and we can,t pick them for long as it is! :(
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Mrs l, the crowns will be fine, and i can't see any reason why they should stop producing new shoots for you.

Monika
KG Regular

We spent this morning on the allotment and it's quite sad to see how "starved" the plants look which in Yorkshire means not starved of nutrients, but cold, shivering and miserable!

And still no rain although it was forecast for today. It's now nearly seven weeks since we had some decent rain and the ground is rock hard.
Clive.
KG Regular

The frost had just slightly marked the Lady Christl that were white over and I gave an application of watering can rose too....

On the way home today I see a local farmer has removed the plastic from his earlies and they have got some frost burn to the leaves..

Clive.
Clive.
KG Regular

Meanwhile, amongst all this talk of frosting.....

A photo of the first pot of Premiere from 16-2-10 that we tipped out at work this afternoon....
The second pot emptied were slightly larger size and bigger yield...but I had put my camera away by then... :wink:

Clive.
Attachments
Premiere 14-05-10.jpg
Premiere 14-05-10.jpg (46.58 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I hope you enjoyed some of them Clive. :wink: :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic