Triffids . . . ?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

CJS
KG Regular

Came home early this afternoon, Hazel has been spring cleaning the utility room . . . more of a big cupboard . . . :) She found these, 'Triffids'? I know I've been asking questions about 'chitting' but this is ridiculous . . . I could put them in a 'taty grow bag', or even find a corner some where, see if they come to anything :lol:

Any one know . . . are they too far gone . . . ???

CJS :wink:

PS, Silly bug**r, i did not put the picture up did I . . . :?
Suzie
KG Regular

Blimey, they are a bit maahooosive aren't they :shock:

Be careful when you plant them, you don't want to be knocking them off!
CJS
KG Regular

Suzie wrote:Blimey, they are a bit maahooosive aren't they :shock:

Be careful when you plant them, you don't want to be knocking them off!

Yep Susie, compared with the 'Pink Fir Apples' in the top tray, that I thought I might plant this weekend? Looks like the way to get potatoes to chit, buy a couple of pound, eat most of them, but 'loose a couple in the back of the utility room' . . . :?

All a bit of fun :P CJS
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi CJS,
The well bearded one is ripe for an experiment.
If you note the roots right at the base can be severed from the mother and grown on as individual plants. It is possible to get a small crop of each of the shoots. You have to be very very careful when severing from the mother spud. When severed simply plant with the very tip just in evidence. Go on have a go!
JB.
glallotments
KG Regular

Worth a go just out of interest!
CJS
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:Hi CJS,
The well bearded one is ripe for an experiment.
If you note the roots right at the base can be severed from the mother and grown on as individual plants. It is possible to get a small crop of each of the shoots. You have to be very very careful when severing from the mother spud. When severed simply plant with the very tip just in evidence. Go on have a go!
JB.

OK Johnboy, I did not pick this reply up until 3 o'clock this afternoon :? and guess what I did this morning . . . :P So I have caaaarrrrfully lifted it, fortunately only planted in light compost in a bag.

Divided . . .

Close up of the surgery . . .

Replanted, we will see how the patient(s) responds . . . :wink: I hope its not illegal to propagate 'Triffids' :lol:

I remember my Grandad back in the early 50's (money very tight, rationing etc.), he used to cut larger seed potatoes in half and carefully place them in the hole cut side down . . . I presume he checked there were eyes at each end when he cut? I dont remember him chitting potatoes?

CJS
CJS
KG Regular

Well the experiment is working so far. The separated shoots are growing, tiny green shoots showing . . . watch this space

CJS
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic