Yay!!! I have (a) veg in the garden bed

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Piglet6
KG Regular

Much to hubby's disgust! LOLOL

Visited my mum & dad the other weekend and mum gave me some shallots. She said I could use them for cooking with but could also plant them - so I did! :D

Planted 16 and it took hubby a few days to notice them. I've been checking out of the window every day that the birds (or hubby) haven't pulled them up, and went to look at them close-up tonight - and they're growing. YAYYYYY :D They have green bits coming out of the tops. Green is good, yes? LOL

Meant to get my potatoes planted last Friday, but the weather was so horrid I didn't get it done. Was away the rest of the weekend, pretty much. Am out tonight too, but might gear up to getting them planted in the sack tomorrow or Friday evening.

Hubby has AGAIN put his foot down about having seed trays in the house. I couldn't be rrrsed to explain to him there will only be 3 little propogaters that look like milkshake/smoothie drinks cartons (with the domed top). So, heck, when I get the compost out to do my spuds, I'm going to sow my chilli pepper seeds, and maybe some runner beans. He'll have to lump it!

In the meantime though, I'm chuffed to bits that my shallots are growing :D :D :D
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm very pleased for you Piglet6. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Suzie
KG Regular

Excellent stuff Piglet - there is nothing like it is there :D
The Mouse
KG Regular

Guerilla gardening, only in your own garden - I like it! 8)

Good luck, Piglet. I really hope that everything grows well and hubby doesn't put his foot down (on the onions, or any other of your veg).

Have you thought of sowing carrot seeds in amongst your other garden plants?
In my first year of veg growing I did that. The leaves are quite pretty, and they just blended in with everything else. In fact, I actually forgot they were there. I got a really nice surprise in late summer when I found them, and they were far better than the ones I had sown in the proper veg plot. I still don't know how they survived my hoeing and rough weeding, but they did!
With any luck, hubby wouldn't notice them until they were served up on a plate. :lol:
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Well done Piglet6, just keep chucking stuff in the borders and blame passing birds. :wink:
Kind regards,

Elle
alan refail
KG Regular

http://www.kitchengarden.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6338

Sounds as though he'd make someone a lovely wife :wink:
glallotments
KG Regular

Well done - hope you managed to sneak in lots more stuff too.
Primrose
KG Regular

I hope by now you've managed to sneak in lots of little clusters of seeds in some empty little patches ! My OH wouldn't dare to complain about all my seed trays cluttering up the lounge window sill, even though I accept they are rather unsightly. He might find all the remote controls have suddenly been buried in the compost heap just as the footie was about to start on TV. :lol:
I'm definitely the gardener in this house - OH treats outdoors almost like alien country. He returned home proudly yesterday bearing two sticks of forced rhubarb he'd just bought from the market veg stall as if he was bringing home an Olympic Gold medal. I have two darned bushes of the stuff in the garden under buckets reading and waiting to be pickjed :roll: :roll: :roll: But he did cook it beautifully with orange and ginger.
Piglet6
KG Regular

Thank you all for your comments :)

Well, I talked with hubby again about the seedling issue and he is putting his foot down. This means that I will have to sow my runner beans directly into the garden (not a huge problem). Also, I won't be able to sow tomato seeds, but I could always buy the little plants from a garden centre/nursery next month some time. The only thing that is pretty much scuppered for this month is the chilli peppers. But hey, there's always next year :wink:

It was such a beautiful evening today that I got straight outside after work and planted my chitted potatoes. They are sitting on the patio in their green potato sack. Checked that my shallots are still happy sitting in the soil. Also topped up the water in the bird bath, and cut an annoying bit off the honeysuckle (I did the major prune a few weeks ago before the birds could eye it up as a nesting place!).Wasn't convinced I hadn't killed it, but it seems to have green shoots all over it.

The plan is still to plant and grow all of the following this year:-

* shallots - planted
* potatoes (first earlies) - planted
* carrots
* beetroot
* leeks
* spring onion
* runner beans
* tomatoes??

Can't believe the time has actually arrived and it is really happening! :D

Haven't quite worked out how I'm going to manage to water things before work during the hot weather. Guess I will just have to get up 15 mins earlier and throw on some scuff and get out there, then come in and have bath, breakfast, etc... Difficulty there is that I sleep so well, I only wake up when hubby gets out of bed, and that is usually when he's running late and I only have "just enough time". At least I have a few weeks to work something out! LOL
Suzie
KG Regular

With the chilli peppers you could also buy small plants for this year, it will be a great start to growing and then watching the peppers develop - then they can be put into your plan next year - maybe!

Fro the seed -sowing next year - have you got a warm sunny office window you could start them off in?

As for getting up early - you're on your own there, cos I have the same problem :lol:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I love getting up early in the morning, think it must be the thought of, it's a whole new exciting day ahead. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Piglet6
KG Regular

Potatoes got planted yesterday evening. 10 of my 16 shallots have green shoots. :D Hoping some/all of the other 6 aren't far behind.

This weekend I'll get my carrots, leeks (a bit late), and spring onions sown.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye open for chilli pepper plants. :)
goldilox
KG Regular

How about planting some trailing tomatoes in a hanging basket? He may not notice those until it's too late :lol:
Tigger
KG Regular

Why don't you make a coldframe in the garden - just a box made of or lined with polystyrene - and put a piece of glass over the top. Sit in a sunny place and you can use it to start your seeds off earlier, without bringing them into the house.
Piglet6
KG Regular

Hi Tigger. Tried that tactic autumn last year. I'm hoping that if this year does goes quite well, then he may be a little more persuadable for next year! If I do 'pants' this year, then I probably won't bother.

Had a lovely afternoon in the gorgeous sunshine yesterday (Sat). Got some seeds sown:-

* spring onions
* beetroot
* carrots - 3 varieties
* leeks
* spinach
* radishes

Oh, and the 16 shallots I planted a while ago: when I checked on Friday after work 10 were sporting green shoots, and when I checked today, 13 have green shoots!!! :D

I also sowed a few sweet pea seeds in a little propogator and have popped this on a shelf in the shed. It's got 2 chances! If they don't germinate, I'll try sowing some more directly in the soil in a few weeks time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic