thompson and morgan

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

tracie
KG Regular

Hi All,

having recently purchased 1 packet of seeds from the above I was horrified to fine my p&p to be £2.29. The seeds arrived second class in a jiffy type envelope which I could have purchased for less than 50p. Also in the envelope were 4 leaflets advertising their offers, these weighed more than the seeds.

I have now emailed T&M 3 times to ask why their costs are so high, I have received no reply at all.

Has anybody else contacted them with a complaint/queries and had a reply or are all of the complaints floating around in cyberspace :evil:
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Just bought some runner bean seed, they work out at 8.22 p each. :? :?
Shallot Man
KG Regular

oops should have mentioned they were from T&M. :oops:
Beryl
KG Regular

I can imagine how annoyed you are Tracie but most seed companies charge a one off payment for P & P irrespective of how many packets you order. I would have bought from a garden centre or somewhere where no charge is made for such small order.

Beryl.
John
KG Regular

Hello Tracie
To be fair to T&M the postage charge is made quite clear when you order online. Many of the seed outfits charge something similar but DT Brown still have free postage for seed orders. Tuckers only charge £1 postage and its free if you spend more than £25.
I recently bought some poles and fittings from Two Wests to increase my fruit cage and was hit with a delivery charge of £12+. I was stuck with their cage system so I didn't have any option.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
donedigging
KG Regular

I use D.T Brown, p&p on seed orders only, are free.

I won't order from T&M anymore.
donedigging
Monika
KG Regular

What does amaze me about T&M is how much they spend on advertising! I usually order my seed potatoes from them (because they are packed by the number of tubers rather than weight and they sell the Sarpo series) and nothng else, but this spring I have been bombarded with letter after letter offering me special deals on seeds, plants and everything else. The postage on all these missives must be enormous when there is unlikely to be an order by me!
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

I purchased a packet of 'Dau Gauk' (snake bean) seeds and a couple of packets of BIG tomato seeds from the United States. They came in a cardboard box you could have used to post sent the average barbeque set ! ! ! The price of postage? - you don't want to know ! ! ! Cheers, Tony.
tracie
KG Regular

Hi All,

the cost for my 6 seeds was £1.37 each, are these the most expensive seeds in the world!!.

They better all germinate. I am going to call T&M today lets hope they answer the phone
glallotments
KG Regular

Many companies charge high postage - I suppose they take into account admin cost too of sending things out. We always try to from companies where we need a lot of things then postage doesn't work out too bad. If we just want odds and ends we buy from local garden centres etc.

I suppose where postage is free the cost is included in the price of the items sold.
tracie
KG Regular

Hi All,

I looked and only could find 1 supplier of the seeds I wanted. If anybody knows where I can get Zeina Cucumber seed from apart from T&M I would be gratefull

Thanks

Tracie
glallotments
KG Regular

It's probably a T&M hybrid - garden centres do sell some T&M seeds maybe try asking your local one if they stock it and if not maybe they will next year.
macmac
KG Regular

I have ordered/complained with T&M
when ordering online there are many companies where you can get a free p&p code.
I have recently emailed them as some new chillis seeds of theirs resulted in only 3 germinations,they responded swiftly with apologies and the promise of replacement seeds.Quite surprising as the seed in question was a freebie which I told them,I had only emailed them originally as feedback and certainly didn't expect replacement. :)
sanity is overrated
Primrose
KG Regular

I think applying a standard postage and packing charge for seeds is a bit of a swindle and I only order seeds by post if I can't find what I'm looking for in one of our local garden centres. I've never been particularly keen on T & M seeds. For some reason I seem to get a much lower germination rate from them than other suppliers. I was looking through a JParker bulb/flower catalogue sent to me today. That too has a fairly steep standard £3.95 P & P charge. Makes it very expensive if you only want one item. Mind you, with the cost of petrol nowadays, driving to a garden centre isn't cheap either, unless you have one on your doorstep.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic