Tandem riding

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

Just a strange question: I saw two people struggling uphill on a tandem today and wondered whether only the "lead rider" can change gear or whether both riders can change gear and, if so, whether the two are linked together. Any experienced tandem riders out there?
Clive.
KG Regular

We have a "racing" tandem...it belonged to my late brother who used it to do time trials with a friend...as members of Alford Wheelers.

My brother rode back seat...and had the gear levers..whilst his friend on the front was in control of direction...and braking.!!..
When it was purchased I think it had gear levers on the front but was changed to share the operational load...

It has conventional derailieur? gears the same as a regular "racing" cycle with chain from the back pedal crank chain ring...the front and rear pedal cranks are linked by a straight chain...so the 2 pedal cranks are directly linked...ie; it is not possible for front to stop pedaling and the rear keep pedaling....freewheel is possible..together.

So very very good teamwork communication is needed to keep things on an even keel....calling for gear changes and the like..

I have had a go on it and it goes quite well...but is nothing but a bit scary. :shock: :? .

It hasn't had a run out for a while now....but I have fitted conventional pedals rather than shoe clip racing things..so it's all but ready to go for a spin..given the right offer. :wink:

Clive.
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Clive :D

Oldherbaceous is his name and Trouble is his game :lol: :lol: stick him at the back :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll:

Regards

Kevin :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Clive.
KG Regular

I think he would require a Ducati engine fitting...not just a change of pedals.

Clive. :wink:
Geoff
KG Regular

I doubt that Kevin, he needs to be up front so you can check he isn't slacking, mind that also suggests he's keeping you on the straight and narrow, what a conundrum!
Monika
KG Regular

Thanks for that sensible answer, Clive (I won't add to the other two insulting ones!)!

I don't think I would want to ride tandem, either front or back, I would prefer to be totally in control. Only once rode pillion on a motorbike - barefoot, flimsy summerdress, no hat, nearly 70 years ago - and it scared me out of my wits.
Clive.
KG Regular

Monika wrote:I don't think I would want to ride tandem, either front or back, I would prefer to be totally in control.

I think my feeling when I did have a go on it was that of not being fully in control....

Our machine is quite big geared and it took quite a bit of co-ordination for us just to set of from a stand and not just gracefully tumble over in a heap on the road :shock: :oops: :wink:

It was originally built, I think, for a record attempt on a straight out 25 mile time trial.

Clive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic