I was wiping my secateurs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: Chantal, Tigger, KG Steve, peter, Chief Spud

Stephen
KG Regular

I was wiping my secateurs

Postby Stephen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:13 pm

so that I might run a steel over the blade and I remembered that on-line sites talk about making sure you don't transmit diseases.

Now, I would simply use an oily rag but someone went into much more detail...
https://rachel-the-gardener.blogspot.com/2017/05/garden-hygiene-iii-first-sterilise-your.html?m=1
I'm sorry it is quite long.
0 x
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Re: I was wiping my secateurs

Postby Shallot Man » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:45 am

Stephen wrote:so that I might run a steel over the blade and I remembered that on-line sites talk about making sure you don't transmit diseases.

Now, I would simply use an oily rag but someone went into much more detail...
https://rachel-the-gardener.blogspot.com/2017/05/garden-hygiene-iii-first-sterilise-your.html?m=1
I'm sorry it is quite long.

Stephen. Went to this web-sight. Bloke must have spent a life time researching. Almost put me of using my my pruning gear. :?
0 x
robo
KG Regular

Postby robo » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:59 am

That's the problem with the internet ,there is a lot of crap written that one should not bother reading
0 x
Primrose
KG Regular

Postby Primrose » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:22 am

Interesting article. Thank you. I must confess that my seccateurs rarely get sterilised apart from if I,m chopping up the stems of tomato plants which might have been blighted, before putting them in a disposal bag or bin. And even then I tend to use whatever disinfectant sprays might be handy on the kitchen window ledge at the time, so probably not terribly effective anyway.

In this household we tend to follow' my grandmother's advice "you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die"and likewise foods dropped on the kitchen floor are given a quick splash under the tap and then proceeded with as normal rather than being disposed of.

I suppose dropping your seccateurs In boiling water for a couple of minutes would kill bugs but soon leave you with a rusty piece of unusable equipment.

How many of us religiously wash out all our pots at the end of every growing season?
I,m not going to raise my hand to that one either although if the hose is handy I might put a batch of them in a big plastic trug and give them a quick splash !

Last edited by Primrose on Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
robo
KG Regular

Postby robo » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:54 pm

We always said you have to eat a ton of muck before you die ,with my mother's cooking I think I'm well past one ton she could not boil an egg properly
0 x
Stephen
KG Regular

Postby Stephen » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:50 pm

My attitude is much the same as Primrose's. Visually clean will have to do in the garden. As Rachel the gardener says, no one is going to sterilise their wheelbarrow. Even closer to the plants, how does one sterilise gardening gloves?
0 x
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Postby Westi » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:53 pm

The most startling thing is us gardeners have the opportunity to make the natural bugs into super bugs by being OTT with the cleaning. Deffo agree with Primrose that if there is an obvious problem then take precautions when pruning but if the plant you are pruning is OK then just prune it & the next that is not affected - in fact you maybe passing on some specific gene from plant to plant to help them self combat diseases in the future & build up their own protection which is a slower process than the bacteria's but when it's there it is longer lasting & will deal with it! (Hopefully but the process is ongoing)!
0 x
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Postby Geoff » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:05 pm

Can't comment - I haven't got the attention span I once had. All my secateurs get is WD40.
0 x
Colin2016
KG Regular

Postby Colin2016 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:39 am

What worries me is all those adverts that kill 99% of all known germs…but what about the 1% germ lurking about?
1 x

Return to “General chatter”