Bindweed in a woodchip pile

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Barry
KG Regular

At our allotment, we have a huge pile of woodchip that has been sitting around for ages for want of something to do with it. Now that we have found something -woodchip over carpet to provide all-weather paths around each of the plots- it appears we cannot use the damn stuff as it has become riddled with bindweed! We can easily get replacement woodchip, but I would like to know the answers to the following two questions:
1. Is burning it the only sollution to rapidly getting rid of it? (We need to free up the plot underneath for a prospective tenant!)
2. If we do burn it, how on earth do we go about doing it? The pile has remained untouched for more than a year and has decayed, hence the bindweed has something to feed on!!
Any suggestions happily received.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Hello Barry old bean.
I think i would definitely try and burn it as long as the s
moke is not going to be a problem to anyone, as it will be burning for quite a long time.
The best way to get it going, is to dig a hole down in the middle and get some old pallets or wood smash them up and get a good fire going in the middle of the heap. When these are well alight start to cover with the woodchip, and just keep heaping it on.
It may keep burning for a few days depending on the size of the heap. If you are successful you will end up with some good potash.
The other way to do it would be to spread it very thinly and hope that the bindweed dries out and dies, again this depends on the size of the heap.

If you can't get the fire going i will send my mate Shorty the arsonist round he loves a good bonfire.
I feel sorry for whoever is getting that plot as the bindweed must be in the ground aswell?

Kind regards a really helpful Old herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
Barry
KG Regular

I took your advice and had a huge fire started deep in the middle of the pile. On went the woodchip on Saturday morning and, as of Monday night, the blaze is continuing. The ash being produced looks delicious; my onions cannot wait!!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Hello Barry, glad you got your fire going, my mate Shorty the arsonist will be disappointed.

Kind regards a very pleased Old herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic