Why no English Parliament?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

glallotments wrote:But it isn't English is it?

With England having approximately 84% of the UK population and nearly 82% of Westminster MPs, I would say it pretty well is :wink:
glallotments
KG Regular

Pretty well isn't 100% like the other parliaments and assemblies though.
All I would like is to be treated equally.

For instance the countries with their own 'governing bodies' are set to abolish prescription charges: Already free in Wales, £5.00 in Scotland which will be reduced to £4.00 prior to being abolished in 2011, due to be abolished in N Ireland by 2010 but in England gone up to £7.20 presumably the British government voted on that!

I know it is slightly off at a tangent but it sort of shows how the British government seem out of step with regional authorities and the English suffer for it!
Greenman
KG Regular

Depends what you mean by "English".
We Cornish might wish to develop the concept otherwise.

http://www.cornishassembly.org/devolution.htm
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves."
- Gandhi
Cider Boys
KG Regular

AS I have previously stated I'm opposed to devolution and beleive the Great British Isles and the United Kingdom benefit all as a complete whole but if the Cornish or anyone else wish to seperate then the sooner they go the better for all of us.

Barney
Last edited by Cider Boys on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glallotments
KG Regular

I wouldn't want us to be split up into areas of England. Just want everyone to play to the same rule book.
Greenman
KG Regular

Cider Boys wrote:AS I have previously stated I'm opposed to devolution and beleive the Great British Isles and the United Kingdom benefit all as a complete whole but if the Cornish or anyone else wish to seperate then the sooner they go the better for all of us.

Barney

Hi Barney

I'm puzzled as to what you mean by "the Great British Isles". Here are two "British Isles" that are not part of the United Kingdom, even less of England:

"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves."
- Gandhi
Malk
KG Regular

I'm going to tred very lightly in this debate being American living in Scotland.

Scotland may have her own parliament, but by no means is it 100% Scotltish as every decision seems to be second-guessed(see the recent Lockerbie decision) and over-ruled sometimes by the UK Parliament and all the parties are based in England and have mostly English supporters excepting the SNP (who have to beg and borrow for every vote they need to get a majority vote). Don't know if I'm saying that so it can be understood.
Welcome to Finland!!
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Malk - Brown is Scottish as have been most of the more influencial members of the Government this past 12 years - and I include Bliar in this.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Hello Colin

You've caused me to re-consider my anti devolution stance.

Now that you have reminded me of these fools, I fully support Scottish devolution, the sooner the better.

(No offence to any Scottish members who wish to stay within the United Kingdom: but it is your job to convince your fellows of the benefits of the Union, we are better united than divided)

Barney
alan refail
KG Regular

Cider Boys wrote: I fully support Scottish devolution, the sooner the better.
Barney

Too late Barney; it happened over ten years ago :wink:
Malk
KG Regular

Just because they're Scottish doesn't mean they have Scottish interests at heart. Far from it, that's part of what I was trying to say. The main parties, even their Scottish sides, don't have Scottish or Irish or Welsh interests as their main priority, they always bow the greater voice of their parties' English majority.
Welcome to Finland!!
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Hello Malk

Do you honestly believe that the English are well served by the Barnett formula and West Lothian question?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnett_formula

I think not.

There are regions of England that are officially more needy than Scotland and contrary to the often quoted SOFT south most counties of the southwest especially Cornwall are recognised by Europe as deprived areas.

Barney
Malk
KG Regular

I honestly don't know about the Barnett formula. The money isn't handed to individuals I assume, but spent on services. It's hard to say unless you could see how they spend the money. You would hope they would put where it was needed most in the area. Also as England has a greater population so if you put all the money together in an area, they would probably still get more per area.

Re the West Lothian question, again it's hazy. It depends on the actual question being debated. The Scottish Parliament only has say over some parts of Scottish society, not everything, so there's still subjects that English MPs have more say over than Scottish just due to their greater numbers.

too much for my brain.
Welcome to Finland!!
alan refail
KG Regular

Looks like a proper Welsh parliament is a step nearer :twisted:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/wales_ ... 541797.stm
poppingjay
KG Regular

It's not as though any of our politicians take the slightest bit of notice of us anyway. Would you care to vote for the blue public school boy or the red career politician madam?...... :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic