Ragwort

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

lizzie
KG Regular

Hello everyone

Can anyone help me out with a picture of Ragwort for me please? I've looked everywhere for one, in my books and can't find it.

It's important because it turns out that I am highly allergic to the damn thing and was on the verge of developing Anaphalatic Shock on Saturday after touching it. But I don't know which weed it was cos I was pulling up so many of the things as I haven't been to the lottie for a few weeks.

Thanks everyone
Lots of love

Lizzie
Bren
KG Regular

Lizzie I haven't a picture of ragwort, but what I remember of it about 2 ft.high with lots of little yellow flowers on top with serated green leaves.I don't know if that is any help, I do know its poisonous for cattle.

Bren
Binky
KG Regular

Search Google images - there are loads of pictures. I would have attached one to this message, but don't have the skill.
Last edited by Binky on Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kev
KG Regular

Lizzie,
Do a google image search of ragwort and you will see lots of pics.
It grows about 3ft tall and has a bright yellow mop type head.
I suggest you should be wearing gloves for pulling out unknown weeds and especially ragwort.
I know it causes irreversible liver damage in horses so wouldn't want to be touching it with bare hands.
If you find any pull it out and either burn it or put it somewhere where livestock can't get at it.
Apparently you are supposed to notify DEFRA if you see any but there are fields of the stuff about here and nobody seems concerned about it.
Kev
Geoff
KG Regular

A couple nicked from "Wild About Britain" http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/pictu ... .php/cat/4 just put Ragwort in the search.
Attachments
Ragwort1styearrosette.jpg
Ragwort1styearrosette.jpg (116.11 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
Common_Ragwort_-_Senecio_jacobaea_-1.jpg
Common_Ragwort_-_Senecio_jacobaea_-1.jpg (132.65 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi LPP,
Now that Geoff has posted two very important photos you must always remember to wear thick gloves when dealing with Ragwort.
Many people are allergic to Ragwort but everybody can be affected if you touch it as it can enter the bloodstream through the skin.
Strangely the last time this topic came up people were more worried about the Cinnabar Moths, that live exclusively on Ragwort, than the effect that it can have on Horses and certainly in Human Beings.
JB.
pongeroon
KG Regular

And remember, it is even more toxic to livestock when wilted so remove any that you pull up.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Pongeroon,
What you have said is very true because livestock will not eat the live plant but it is when it gets into Hay that the problem is at its worse.
I keep the verges between my property and the village 1.5 miles away
by pulling and bagging because it likes to travel along the verges. One small patch on the verge in two years can give you an area of about twenty square feet. This is done by the prevailing wind and vehicular winds. It is a constant battle.
JB.
Elaine
KG Regular

Dear Lizzie. I hope you're okay now. That must have been a terrible experience. :shock:
I know Ragwort is toxic to animals but didn't realise it affects humans too.. I shall be very aware in the future.
Cheers.
Happy with my lot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic