BBC Countryfile programme

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Essexboy
KG Regular

Hello, me again, did anybody catch the Countryfile programme on Sunday evening? I was interested in the item on Garlic growing on the Isle of Wight, I was interested in how they stored their garlic in warm, dry conditions in what was in effect a large grrenhouse. Does this method of storage hold true for onions, I have had a massive crop of huge onions this year, to be honest I do not know what I am going to do with them all! I can only put it down to the wood ash that I put round them this year.
Regards, Essexboy.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Essexboy,
The very short answer is No. I store mine in a very cold barn and when frost is forecast they get insulated. My current onion string is always hung on the back porch which faces about NNW and always very cool even today which is beautiful sunshine here.
JB.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

A slightly longer answer is: maybe. Onions remain dormant if they are very cold (2-4ºC) or very warm (30ºC). In between is where trouble lies, and especially if the temperature fluctuates wildly. So if your greenhouse is a hothouse, and a constantly hot hothouse at that, then it's a good place for storing onions. I think to save yourself your fuel bills, though, store them in the shed / garage / coal hole. Hang them in strings is what I always do, hung up away from rats, stagnant air and they're easy to get at when you want to use them.
Allotment, but little achieved.
pongeroon
KG Regular

I dry my onions in the glasshouse and the shed (which also gets very warm, but I block the door open a bit to keep the air flowing). I do this because when I harvest the onions there are never enough consecutive dry days to leave them outside to dry.

After a few days I string them, and hang them in the motorbike shed which is usually cool ( 8) ), and though I am never organised enough to protect them from frost (and there were some hard ones last winter) they store very well.
Beryl
KG Regular

I dry my onions off in the greenhouse and these days instead of stringing them I keep them in an open card board box in the greenhouse and they over winter very well till at least April/May but like anything stored they do need checking over once in a while.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic