Hi. Newbie here

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Piglet6
KG Regular

Hello Everyone,

I'd love to have a go at growing my own veggies & herbs, and reading through your posts have given me even more enthusiasm. I've grown a couple of things in years gone by, but the majority of stuff (it seems to me) needs to be sown in seed trays, put in a greenhouse, THEN planted outside when it's big enough. Either that, or wintered in a greenhouse.

My problem is how the heck do I win my hubby round and get him to agree to me having some form of greenhouse (be it traditional glass, or a mini zip-up) in the garden.

Wherever the greenhouse goes in the garden it will be fully visible from the house and I think this is what he is against - the fact that it doesn't look very pretty.

I have already been offered a glass greenhouse and some staging (?) by my sister. My parents are bound to have several seed trays they would donate and they have plenty of compost that they would be happy to shovel into some stong animal-feed sacks for me. (well, I can shovel it, but they'd be happy to let me have it if you know what I mean).

So, anyone have any tips on how to win round a grumpy hubby? Any hints and tips would be gratefully recieved. :D

Thanks in advance.
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Piglet 6 and a warm welcome to the forum.

I thought of giving you some tips on what to grow - then I noticed the nature of your problem :x

Far be it from me to make suggestions - though some of our lady gardeners will be forthcoming with ideas I'm sure :roll: :roll:
Piglet6
KG Regular

LOL, thanks. If I manage to win him round, I will indeed be after good beginner suggestions.

I look forward to some ladies coming forward with suggestions then. :wink:

See, to me, it's only fair that he agrees to it. He has the double garage as 'his' (he has his beloved old Mini Cooper S in there - wrapped up in bed sheets he blagged out of the cupboard, I kid you not!). AND, he has the shed - well, sort of. We kind of share the shed.

I'm currently out of work (was made redundant 3 weeks ago) and would have plenty of time at the moment to tend to sowing, planting, etc. But if I can't find a part-time job and have to go back to full-time I'm going to find it a bit of a struggle what with the house and laundry and meals etc. Still, cross that bridge when I come to it, eh?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Piglet6, and a very warm welcome to the forum from me too.

Regarding your greenhouse problem, now if you think of the size greenhouse you would really like, then times that by four and suggest to your Husband that's the size you are HAVING, by the time he has argued you down to the smaller size, he will have thought he has won and you will get the greenhouse you want.

Simple really, i know how you Women work. :)

Or as an alternative, you could get a very good quality hardwood cold frame, these can look good and are not too obtrusive.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
macmac
KG Regular

Welcome Piglet 6,Oldherbaceous as you will find has a splendid sense of humour,though I do understand what he's saying.I'm fortunate my OH shares my gardening passion and we have a 17' greenhouse soon to add another one and two allotments.Ithink greenhouses can look beautiful,our big one is a lovely wooden Alton type and planted up is as attractive as any flower border.Does your OH like his veggies?if he's never eaten home grown tomatoes and cucumbers he hasn't lived,keep at it wear him down :lol:
sanity is overrated
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Hi Piglet,

I like OH's suggestion best, but an alternative could be to invest in a really cheap and rubbish plastic/poly job that looks awful after a couple of months. Then spend what appears to be an inordinate amount of time worrying over the safety of your crops, and may be you will get something nice looking (Glass) for Christmas! You may need to produce something really tasty from a pot he thinks you have grown to really get him behind you...
Kind regards,

Elle
Piglet6
KG Regular

LOLOL, I like the things you're coming up with! :D

I have actually been offered a glass greenhouse today. My sister has one she no longer wants! Just needs 2 new pains of glass.

Hubby seems in a good mood tonight, so might broach the subject. Wish me luck :roll:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Piglet6, are you and your Husband still talking. :wink: :)

Piglet6
KG Regular

Morning OH,

Yes, we ARE still talking, but that's possibly 'cos I haven't mentioned anything yet.

Think I'm going to start with: I'd really like to have a go at growing some vegetables, like your parents did this year, but they all seem to need either a greenhouse or cloches to protect them. Blah blah blah.
glallotments
KG Regular

What about something that is dual purpose. Somewhere you can grow veg with a space for your husband to go and sit when he wants a quiet space.

Not sure how much space you have or what your budget is but you can buy some really good looking greenhouses now which can double up as a small summer house.
Piglet6
KG Regular

Lovely idea there, but he's really not any kind of 'outdoorsy' type. His hobby is working on his 42 year old Mini....oh, and sleeping/watching tv.

After a few tears this morning we've eventually reached a compromise! And that is a coldframe.

If he finds anything to moan about once it's in place, simple - he just won't get to taste any of the spoils!

I think if I grow a few flowers along with the veg and get those planted in the beds to make the garden look 'pretty' then I will start to win him round.

He actually said "NO! NO! NO! and NO! you are NOT having a greenhouse. I know what you're like. This will just be a Fad!"

So what if it is, eh? The price of a coldframe, trays, compost, seeds, etc isn't going to set me back very much at all, so it'w worth a go.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Piglet6, now this is from a mans point of veiw, would he have been the one having to take the greenhouse down then put it back up again, and then there would be the base to think about. :)

Bet the sleeping/watching the T.V sounds a lot more inviting. :wink:

Of course you could be one of those get up and go young ladies that are prepared to take on anything, and don't need any help. :)

Piglet6
KG Regular

LOL, erm, yes, I think I would require some assistance to construct a greenhouse. And yes, it would be poor old hubby putting it up, then taking it down again, then putting it up again.

Anyhow, looking at my small and awkwardly shaped garden I can't fit a greenhouse in. Well, not if I want to keep the washing line.

Ho hum. I totally understand that two people who choose to live together may not have the same views and hobbies, and that sometimes you have to reach a compromise. :roll:

I ordered a couple of books about veg/herb sowing/planting/growing. Hopefully they will arrive Monday. My plan of action is to read through them and jot down anything that I'd like to have a go at growing. Then catagorise them into requiring the coldframe, or whether they can be sown directly outside (most will be in big pots - again "NO you are NOT having a vegetable patch in the garden!"). Then I'll choose 2 or 3 things to try and grow for my first attempt.

I've costed all the stuff up, or did I already say that? I have a birthday coming up (won't say which one, but it's a Biggy) and all the stuff like seed trays, seeds, potting compost, plastic pots is affordable for a birthday.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and very kind welcome. I'll let you know how things go. And I'll be reading your posts to learn a thing or two. :wink:
Westi
KG Regular

Hi & Welcome Piglet6

Prove it is not a fad - which it won't be if you stay on
the forum as you will be constantly inspired. Start with
your cold frame and fill it up to overflowing with both
vege & flowers if that is his thing. Then come the spring
try again with the greenhouse as there will be too much
to fit in.

In the interim period get others to bring up the subject
while you innocently sit there. Or get your name on an
allotment list since you have some time on your hands
and make it yours then he can have the garden!

Good Luck - keep up the fight! If all else fails divorce him
and find a man that doesn't like gardening just eating -
works for me :D
Westi
Elaine
KG Regular

Morning Everyone.
Hello Piglet6 and a warm welcome from me too! :D :D

Will your man object to vegetables in pots and tubs? A lot of seeds can be reared on your windowsills quite happily and grown on in a cold frame. We got a reasonable cold frame from Lidl for £10 this year and it's worked really well. We keep this one in the garden for growing stuff on before transferring them to the allotment and the much larger frames we have there, as the allotment isn't "just round the corner"

Wilkinsons sometimes do them too and their gardening things, from seeds to trays, pots etc are all very reasonably priced. Be aware that a lot of their plug plants can be severely stressed because the poor little devils never get watered, therefore their performance is often disappointing...that's if they survive at all!
BUT... we won't get onto that topic cos it sets me off on a rant! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers, Elaine.
Happy with my lot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic