"What to eat now"

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Have just watched the BBC iPlayer repeat of last night's programme which had a feature of a lady growing about 50 varieties of tomatoes. What an opportunity it would have been to provide some really useful feedback about the taste and flavour of some of these varieties by name. Instead, all we got a chef uttering various plattitudes,with none of the varieties named and described. In my opinion it was utterly useless as a feature aimed at anybody who was being encouraged to grown their own tomatoes with no educational value at all Dumbing down again. Just glad I didn't waste a whole 30 minutes watching the entire programme.
seedling
KG Regular

I agree with Primrose. Apart from showing you how to eat pizza in a greenhouse (useful :roll: ) the programme lacked any useful info about tomato growing. Shame.

Seedling
pongeroon
KG Regular

I liked the first series, but this one has definitely 'gone off'. The camera work makes me feel dizzy, and they are going for the 'reality TV' thing, in my opinion.

However, by listening carefully to the tomato bit, I gathered that Sweet Million = not good, Cuban Black = lovely.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

It would have been better if they had not mentioned the names of any of the varieties. The Sweet Million shown was clearly mis-labelled. Either that, or a mongrel found its way into the seed packet: it was not like any Sweet Million I have ever grown, and it's one I grow every year for its flavour and productivity. So it has now been unfairly maligned. I think the grower featured is mistaken to dismiss a variety if it is found to be poor on first growing. If a variety has been poor one year it might be excellent the next. The way tomatoes are grown, and the conditions which prevail year on year, has a significant bearing on flavour and productivity. My Alicante have for the first time in thirty years been poor this season.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic