Trophy winner

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Essexboy
KG Regular

Hello everybody,
This weekend we went down to Essex to visit my parents, as it was their village show, they have one of the last of the old style village flower shows, and very popular it is. I have not entered anything in the show for a couple of years, so I rushed around ang got some of my best looking veg together and entered at the last minute. Guess what, firsts, 4 seconds, and one third! I came away with the trophy for most points in the open class. The point being, if I can do it, anyone should be in with a chance! So dont' be put off get out there and have a go at showing. I was also pleased to see that the number of fruit and veg entries had greatly increased this year, a lot of beginners, some of whom, had only started this year, long may it continue.
On a more sombre note, went up the allotment last evening, to find that every shed on the site had had the locks cut off of the doors. Nobody had a single thing taken, I suppose that it was the usual suspects lookin for petrol engined tools/implements.
Regards, Essexboy.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

May i be the first to congratulate you on your success Essexboy. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
macmac
KG Regular

Well done Essexboy! I've never quite understood the concept of showing veg though I defend your right to do it.We help out every year at our show with the setting up and the clearing away.The first year was hilarious with tables being moved several times before settling in their final position,so I said "why don't you number them underneath now they're in the right place ?" so it would be easy the following year. The reply " oh no we always do it like this!" and trust me five years on and yes they ALWAYS do it like that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
They're a great bunch though :D
sanity is overrated
Elaine
KG Regular

Congratulations Essexboy! Nice one.
We went to the Driffield Show last Wednesday and made a bee-line for the flower and veg show tent to have a look and see how it should be done, expecting to be drooling with envy at the veg exhibits. We didn't drool at all. In fact, we were almost tempted to have a go ourselves next year as, a lot of what we saw wasn't anything to write home about. Our caulis could have knocked spots off the first prize entry as we have had some beauties this year. The only things I did drool at, were the leeks! :shock: Enormous beautiful things! I think growing them as they do for showing would send my faffometer off the scale though! :lol: I reckon we'll stick to growing for eating.
Well done again Essexboy.
Cheers.
Happy with my lot
naturediva
KG Regular

Fantastic! Very well done Essexboy :D
I think local shows which continue hold competitions like that do encourage others to have a go, it's when it all gets SO SERIOUS and ultra competetive that the fun disappears. Best of all to grow for eating and it's a bonus if they win a competition too!
Well done again and thanks for encouraging some more of us to think about having a go too! :D
It may be that some little root of the sacred tree still lives. Nourish it then, that it may leaf and bloom and fill with singing birds. Black Elk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic