Paint quality

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Richard P. My late father must have gone to the same school as your dad, he also used all the left-overs paints, looked like Heinz 57 when he had finished.
Elaine
KG Regular

Nothing much was wasted in those days. My Dad used to mix the oddments of paint left over too...I remember a rather fetching orangey/yellowy/pinky shade on the kitchen cabinet. :mrgreen: My Mum tolerated this for several weeks before handing over the "rebate" from the gas man, to Dad, to buy some decent paint in a colour which did not assault her senses! The cabinet ended up white, with blue doors...he only had enough money for a small tin and the blue came from his "mix n match" stock in the shed! It was a vast improvement though! :D Cheers.
Happy with my lot
Kev
KG Regular

John,
My joiner told me that about Dulux paint and B&Q just a couple of weeks ago.
So I bought my woodstain from the local builders merchants, no idea what the price difference is but didn't want to take the risk.
Maybe it is a myth put out my the builders merchants!!!
Kev
Larkshall
KG Regular

As a retired decorator, make sure that the name on the tin is the same (not a different line) and wherever you buy it it will be the same. When I was decorating I had a customer alerted me to the fact that a certain chain were selling a branded vynil wallpaper at much less than I could buy it at trade rate. From that point on I estimated only for hanging and advised the customer to go to the chain to buy their paper.
JohnN
KG Regular

Just returned from a few days stayting with a friend in Guernsey (lovely spot) so thank you all for your entertaining and informative posts. (Note to Geoff: Yeah, amazing ain't it! You renewed my hope!).
A couple of years ago I bought some Cuprinol "Timbercare" for a fence, and it washed off in a few months. I phoned Cuprinol and their adviser admitted it was "rubbish" (her word!) and sent me vouchers for "Ducksback", which seems OK. But it amazes me that such a firm can sell a product that they admit is rubbish. (Unless it's Ratners of course! :D )
madasafish
KG Regular

When we moved house,we or rather I, painted the front door BLUE.

The tin is still usable and is still used.. altho we only need to touch up. It's rather a fetching deep blue and we like it. Just as well: the paint is over 25 years old.. (and yes it is Dulux)...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic