Chase barn cloche

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

What a superb day it's been today.
Been over my allotments this afternoon setting up my twelve chase large barn cloches ready for putting french beans under as i can leave them covered until they start to flower.
I did have twenty but eight blew over and smashed early last year, thats the first loss in ten years so i can't complain. The only trouble they are expensive to replace.
I just wondered if anyone else still uses them,or if you can still buy them.
I bought an old book a couple of weeks ago called continuous cloche gardening, its got some great ideas for cropping all year round, we will see.

Kind regards a very contented Old herbaceous.

It will either rain or get dark.
Allan
KG Regular

There is no difficulty in buying replacement wires for the cloches if you want sets, an address is frequently advertised in Kitchen Garden magazine, but I have made up replacements for most parts from bought wire and it isn't all that difficult. You would have to find somebody to weld the T or H- pieces unless you have access to the equipment. I presume you are talking about the fullsize barn, you pronably know that there were Growers barns with 9 inch sides also low barns with 6 inch sides which weren't very versatile and the sides were liable to break. Any glass merchant can supply th glass in horticultural grade which is cheaper. Much broken glass can be "repaired" with repair strips, the originals were thin aluminium bent in a U-shape but now I use the plastic stationary accessories sold for easybinding collections of papers. If you can see your way to fitting these same strips everywhere that the wires press on the glass you will reduce the glass casualty rate.
On the broader side of Chase, I am still looking for historical material on Chase, father and son (JHL Chase), the Chase Guild, the demonstration grounds at the Grange, Chertsey and the newsletters. It's all difficult to find. If anybody comes across anything, please let me know.

Allan thanks for your reply ,yes they are the large barn cloce with twelve inch sides. I have also been scouting about for any information on the chase cloce guild but drawn a blank. There should be a lot of stuff out there because they reckon they had 25;000 members of the fellowship.
If i do come up with anything i'll let yo know.

Kind regards Old herbaceous.

Many a fine cock has come out of a tattered bag.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Forget to log in again.

Silly Old herbaceous.

As far as I can remember what I have I am not using the wires for the Large Barns, if so and you need more you could have the central ones. I might be able to make up kits including most of the rest but as you must realise they are all showing their age and particularly the sprung handles go quickly. I currently use the Growers Barns if anything.Most of what one would do with cloches is now done in our polytunnels which gives us better working conditions whatever the season, however there are a few times when it is expedient to use cloches inside the tunnels.
JLH Chase ran the guild with the theme of composting and cloches dominating. I reckon that I must have a few of the magazines somewhere.
Allan
Allan
KG Regular

Obviously the guest was me!
Allan
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Allan thank you very much for the kind offer of the wire, but it is the just the glass i have go to get round to replacing when i can afford it. Thanks again for the kind offer.

A very grateful Old herbaceous.

There's no fool like an ld fool.
ATBS1

I think I have inherited a box of frames for the Chase High Barn Cloche (i.e. based on photos in a very old book I also inherited - Gardening with Cloches by Louis N. Flawn). But I am having difficulty working out how to put them all together. There seems to be a range of shapes and the simplest construction seems quite a flimsy way of supporting the weight of glass. Can anybody help or point me in the direction of a manual or book? I have bought some new glass and would like to see them installed in the garden at long last.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Hello ATBS1, strange as it seems, the strenght of a chase cloche is the glass itself. The wire frame is just to hold it together and to enable you to move them about via the wire handle. Have you had a good look through your cloche book, because there normally is a diagram in them of how to assemble them.

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
ATBS1

Thank you for your reply, Old Herbaceous. The problem is all the frames are loose in a box and there are at least seven different sorts. The handles and the short wires that support the "roof" glass I have identified. But that leaves a variety of others in shapes like an inverted "A", a rectangular shape and a "D" shape, which obviously work with the handle and support but I can't figure it out. I tried the hands on approach but broke two pieces of glass in the process and would like to avoid losing my fingers! I think ideally I need instructions (which presumably Chase barn cloche suppliers issued with purchases) or somebody who has used frames and can explain it to me. The book is a mine of information on how to use cloches in the garden but the photo plates are few, though highly amusing, and aren't particularly helpful.
midgetgemglass
KG Regular

Hello. First time oldtimer here. Someone was looking for instructions on assembling a Chase Barn Cloche. I have a copy of these and would be happy to photocopy them if this would be of help.
Platties
KG Regular

Hi, I have found someone selling original chase large barn cloches which he picked up from a estate house sale. Very please with them and not expensive. Some of the frames and clip wire is quite rusty but still functional. I was hoping someone could point me to a replacement manufacturer? If not does anyone know the specifications for the circular spring wire?
Cheers
Andy
Westi
KG Regular

I truly haven't a clue what you are talking about, but piqued my interest. Not sure I want one as if glass is in the mix as a tad clumsy but will certainly have a look!

Welcome to the forum Platties and midegetgemglass btw!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Andy/Platties - welcome
I remember my mother using barn type clochees (original manufacturer unknown). They never seemed to have complete panes of glass and as a child I avoided them if I could because of this. If I picked one up the panes would scrape against each other.

I wouldn't know ehere to get new ones
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

If you could have been in my village in 1947 when this photograph was taken, Miss Priddle could probably have sold you some spares :!:

http://search.digido.org.uk/?id=llgc-id ... 8&img_id=4

Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic