Help

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

seedling
KG Regular

Just read a headline on online news website saying that they are going to make a musical about Jade Goodys life. :roll:

Please tell me its Arpril fools day. No? Must be the media circus rolling into town again then.

Seedling
Primrose
KG Regular

I am utterly bewildered by the celebrity cult. We seem to be spawning a whole generation of young people who do absolutely nothing remarkable with their lives and make huge amounts of money in the process. When I look around my own community and see so many people who do huge amounts of good in their precious spare time without receiving any reward or publicity at all I feel I want to conscript all these 'celebs' to 2 years of National Community Service. Then they might have some idea of how the real world works. Perhaps it should be a pre-requisite for all MP's too as many of them seem to be living in La La land.
As a point of interest, I did a survey the other day and one of the questions asked people o vote for their favourite celeb. I hadn't heard of a single one of them!
Chantal
KG Regular

I can't think of anything more appalling! I hate seeing her all over the magazines at supermarket checkouts and in Waterstone's yesterday her mug was on TWO books in the best seller section. Why? I know this sounds nasty, but the only really good thing she's done is to die and in so doing, make a huge impact to the good for the campaign for cervical screening. Seedling and I were talking about this last night and think the only thing left now is to canonise her! :roll:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
alan refail
KG Regular

Chantal wrote:Seedling and I were talking about this last night and think the only thing left now is to canonise her! :roll:

Chantal,
You're soooo behind the times :wink:

Catherine
KG Regular

I stopped buying the paper when all the fuss was on about her wedding, christening, etc etc. It was as if there was no other news going on in the world. I do think the media cause the fuss, they pick up on one little item and blow it up out of all proportion.
Fat Andy
KG Regular

What gets me most about Jade Goody was that when she was in Celebrity Big Brother, the red tops labelled her a "despicable human being", a "vile racist" and "public enemy number 1".

Less than a year later she was diagnosed with terminal cancer and she suddenly became "St Jade of Bermondsey" and they couldn't get enough of her "bravery" and "courage".

Pathetic. They make me sick.
Elaine
KG Regular

FA has just said what I have been saying too. Yes, it's tragic that she died so young and left two little ones motherless but there are many equally young women dying of cancer who don't get publicity...and would be horrified at the thought of their plight being plastered all over the papers. They don't get the opportunity to generate vast sums of money to secure their childrens' future either. Having said that, it's marvellous that many women are now getting themselves checked out, whereas they would have ignored the invitation for a smear test prior to the publicity about Jade Goody. Our practice nurse said requests for smear tests had almost doubled from women of all ages. I do feel it was all bit OTT and I deliberately didn't buy a paper or watch tv on the day of her funeral because I couldn't bear to see all hoohah. I didn't know much about her, having never been tempted to watch "Big Brother". I felt sorry for her but no more than I would for any woman in similar circumstances. I wonder how long it will be before her poor grief-stricken husband will be announcing he has a "new love" to help him over his loss? Or am I being cynical!!!
Happy with my lot
Shallot Man
KG Regular

The cynic in me Say's that this is all being masterminded by that well known publicity agent, would like to know what his cut is. :( :(
Elaine
KG Regular

Aye...I never thought of that!
Happy with my lot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic