Home composting and "compostable" bags

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stephen
KG Regular

I'm not surprised by this report: [url]https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022 ... t-work-aoe[/url]
In my opinion, much of the blame lies with the packaging manufacturers. They use weasel words like "biodegradable" which usually means it is plastic which breaks into microplasticelements. It doesn't mean "compostable".. That bags marketed as "compostable" don't compost well in domestic circumstances is disappointing. I wouldn't expect them to disappear within six months but would hope that a year would render them down. My heaps get longer than that but won't get decently hot and are frequently too dry or too wet.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Oops the team must be still working on the links Stephen. I just checked mine & they say 'biodegradable & compostable'! I find I have to be careful as they are the dead opposite to your experience & if the contents are too wet they dissolve away in the caddy so generally put a paper towel in between additions. They often need double bagging just to get them into the council little bin, which generally needs washing out after each collection as the little bin lid has some vents in it that allow any rain to get in.
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Does it work any better if you paste this in? www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/nov/03/greenwash-home-compostable-plastics-dont-work-aoe
Westi
KG Regular

Yes Geoff, that got it up. Interesting read. Unfortunately no real surprises especially with food shop carry bags. I bought jute bags for a wee while for shopping until some study found the paint on them with the obligatory store advertising causes them not to break down these areas. Re-cycle & re-use is a reasonable alternative in so much it is not an immediate throw away, but at some point it will need throwing out.
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Just in case you need more detail www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/frsus.2022.942724/full
Stephen
KG Regular

I think the "reduce, reuse, recycle" mantra is reinforced by the reports.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic