JAMES LONG KEEPING ONION SEED

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Signs of early spring. ? notice crocus just pocking through the soil.
Sludge
KG Regular

Here we go then, mid ish March and the sap is rising. I sowed some of my own save Bedfordshire Champion seed a couple of weeks ago and it’s just started germinating so decided to have a go with the James Longkeeping. I’ve sown about half (116 ish) and will sow the other half next week, unless I change my mind and decide to sow direct into the soil in April. They are in an unheated greenhouse and the compost though recently bought is probably last years and has been outside all winter so it’s a lot wetter than I’d like.
Westi
KG Regular

Good luck Sludge!
Westi
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Mine are just showing through.
Sludge
KG Regular

I’m getting a bit worried, there’s no sign of them. Everything else is coming up so I don’t think it’s me. I’ve one lot in a heated propagator and one lot in a covered seed tray both in an unheated green house. My own Bedfordshire Champion seedlings are now hardening off outside.
Sludge
KG Regular

They must have been listening! They are just poking their heads through this morning.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Sludge wrote:They must have been listening! They are just poking their heads through this morning.

Sludge. Maybe we should now keep our own stock, for the future.
Sludge
KG Regular

That’s what I was thinking. We might go down in history as the people that saved the name James Long Keeping.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Sludge wrote:That’s what I was thinking. We might go down in history as the people that saved the name James Long Keeping.

Sludge. Had intended to suggest we swop seed every so often. But being into my 87th year, I can sometimes when the wind is in the wrong direction hear Old Nick sharpening a scythe . :wink:
Sludge
KG Regular

Did you get any of Dobies seed and if so how’s that doing compared with Irish Seed Savers. I don’t see any harm swapping seeds until the great god of Alliums takes us but you might have a bit of competition with the blokes round here.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Sludge wrote:Did you get any of Dobies seed and if so how’s that doing compared with Irish Seed Savers. I don’t see any harm swapping seeds until the great god of Alliums takes us but you might have a bit of competition with the blokes round here.

Only bought from Dobies.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Sludge. Sent you a private message mentioning I have a spare pack of "JAMES LONG KEEPING" [Dobies] If you are interested send me your address.
Sludge
KG Regular

Really sorry about the delay Shallotman but I’ve only just seen your post and PM, I don’t log in that often.

I’ve got some Bedfordshire champion from last year going to seed that are doing nicely, so I should be OK for seed next year. My James Longkeeping are coming on well and I‘ll earmark a few for 2022 seed.

On a general note about saving your own seed. I bought one packet of leek seed and had some saved from last year. The germination success of the bought seed was so much lower than the saved seed it can’t be a coincidence. I’ve noticed the same with other seed I save.
Primrose
KG Regular

But maybe they still sell the oldest seed first !!
Sludge
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:But maybe they still sell the oldest seed first !!
or mix the old seed with new.

Sorry to hear your news in another post Shallotman. If things take a turn for the better and you find yourself having difficulty getting a “pinch” of James long Keeping don’t hesitate to ask.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic