JAMES LONG KEEPING ONION SEED

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Barkelberrybear
KG Regular

Hi Colin, can I ask if you've had success this year with saving your own seeds of James Long Keeping Onion?
Sludge
KG Regular

Hi. I’ve had what can only be described as limited success. I replanted six onions, the same amount as I usually do for Bedfordshire Champion, but I’ve got very little seed from them. The only thing I did differently is to replant them at home rather than on the allotment, and I’m guessing it’s a lack of pollination that’s been the cause. It’s still drying in the greenhouse and a bit green at the moment, when it’s properly dried I’m going to have to be extremely careful removing the seed from the husk so I don’t loose any.

I think I’ve still got your address and will send you half of them when it’s ready.
Barkelberrybear
KG Regular

That is so kind of you mate. It's really appreciated. It's been a really bad year for us all here in Derbyshire, I'm just so glad it's come to an end. I look forward with eager anticipation.
petesveg
KG Regular

Hi All New on Here anyone know where l might be able to get some James Long Onion Seed as they seem Difficult to get Hold Off.
HAPPY GARDENING
Petesveg
Sludge
KG Regular

I’ve not had any luck at getting any new seed. I've sorted what seed I got from letting half a dozen of last years JLK go to seed, but I’m afraid there won’t be any to spare. I promised some to Barkelberrybear, but there will only be enough to use for seed for 2023.

Barkelberrybear… as I said above I’ve sorted the seed but there was even less than I anticipated. I’ve still got your address in my PM box on here so will get them off to you. Sorry but there won’t be many.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Sludge wrote:Hi. I’ve had what can only be described as limited success. I replanted six onions, the same amount as I usually do for Bedfordshire Champion, but I’ve got very little seed from them. The only thing I did differently is to replant them at home rather than on the allotment, and I’m guessing it’s a lack of pollination that’s been the cause. It’s still drying in the greenhouse and a bit green at the moment, when it’s properly dried I’m going to have to be extremely careful removing the seed from the husk so I don’t loose any.

I think I’ve still got your address and will send you half of them when it’s ready.

Sludge. I used to put mine in a brown paper bag, then hang up [ head down ]
Sludge
KG Regular

I ended up using a penknife, tweezers and X3 reading glasses!
Barkelberrybear
KG Regular

Thank you so much Sludge, I'll guard them with my life. Hopefully we can build them up for future years to come.
Ray49
KG Regular

My wife is desparate for James Longkeeping seed! Any chance that you still have some? Willing to purchase/pay postage!
Sludge
KG Regular

Unfortunately I won’t have enough to share this year but, depending on how many germinate this spring, I will save plenty for seed next year. So keep an eye on this thread, I will gladly send some when, and if, there are some to spare.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Just googled James Long Keeping. Gables & Gardens came up .[ Adds sold by Dobie's. ] Good hunting.
Sludge
KG Regular

Unfortunately further Googling draws a blank. I sowed my saved JLK seed today only 20 or so seeds, hopefully between me and Barkelberrybear we’ll be able to build up a reasonable stock of seed but it’s not a quick process.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

What about trying "Henry Doubleday" They have a seed bank. Miss the allotment.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

JAMES LONG KEEPING Good News, Been in contact with Garden Organic [used to be a member when I had the allotment] Seem they have JLK in their seed library, though have no plans at the moment to grow more. [ if you are a member they do let out seed for members to grow for the seeds.] Being a computer moron with a degree in moronic computer studies ] I am unable to forward the letter to the forum. Next time I get a visit from one of the family,, I will get them to forward the letter. :D :D
Sludge
KG Regular

Sorry but I missed your post Shallotman, not sure how as I usually get an email when there’s a reply to this thread.

Any how that is good news as I’ve had a 100% failure with my JLK seeds. I had near enough 100% success with my Bedfordshire champion seeds so I’m blaming a lack of pollination or some such thing with the JLK. I wonder if Barkelberrybear bear had any better luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic