JAMES LONG KEEPING ONION SEED

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Sludge wrote:
Primrose wrote:But maybe they still sell the oldest seed first !!
or mix the old seed with new.

Sorry to hear your news in another post Shallotman. If things take a turn for the better and you find yourself having difficulty getting a “pinch” of James long Keeping don’t hesitate to ask.

Most kind. Thankyou.
Sludge
KG Regular

So the story continues.
After a very bad start due to the exceptionally dry spring the JLK rallied and I’ve ended up with about 20Lbs of them. I’ve kept half a dozen separate to re plant next year for seed. Interestingly they faired a lot better than the Bedfordshire Champions.
Barkelberrybear
KG Regular

I've been following these Posts with interest. I've got a packet of T&M's James Longkeeping which I think are about three years past their sell by date, Would anyone know if they might succesfully germinate please? I suppose I'll find the answer myself when I sow them in a few weeks time.
Primrose
KG Regular

Barkelberrybear- Why not sprinkle a pinch of these old seeds on a continually damp tissue placed in a saucer now and see what happens?
If they show signs of germination you'll have a better idea of whether they're still viable and it will possibly save disappointment and wasted time further down the line in a few weeks time if none of them germinate.

I've tried this practice on various occasions with packets of old seeds and find it works. Seeds either germinate or they don't, or you get a low germination level and know you have to sow more generously when the time comes. The only thing its advisable to do is collect all your older seed packets and get organised to sow a test saucer or two well below normal sowing time so you have time to buy a fresh supply if none of them germinate..
Barkelberrybear
KG Regular

Thank you for that Primrose. I was thinking along those lines. I did the same one year with parsnips. I'm just hoping someone, somewhere will have a packet of James Longkeeping somewhere and then I can keep my own stock. Thanks for your imput x.
Richard65
KG Regular

Hi just a question could any body help ,Where can i buy the above seed .Ive looked around all website with out joy
Thanks
Richard
Barkelberrybear
KG Regular

Hi Richard, this appears to be the trouble. Nobody has got any for sale. I've just sown some on a damp tray and tissue paper, but on the packet it says, "Sow by 2019". So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If this small sample germinate, I can sow the rest and hopefully build up a stock to preserve this cultivar. I just hope I like the taste after all this.
Barkelberrybear
KG Regular

Unfortunately none of th JLK seeds have germinated. I've had them on blotting paper for about a month now, so the seeds were too old. Tongue in cheek, could I be cheeky and ask Sludge if he would have any spare to sell me next year please? Or if anyone else might have some available? Here's hoping.
Sludge
KG Regular

Sorry don’t log in here very often so not kept up with this thread. I planted my own saved JLK seed today and I’ve got a fair bit left over so if anyone wants some PM me your address and I’ll post it.
Barkelberrybear
KG Regular

Thank you so much for the offer Sludge. I've sent you my details, so hopefully I've done it right. Kind regards.
Sludge
KG Regular

Message received and replied to.

They really do live up to their name, we’ve only just finished last years, they were still as good as they were last autumn, at a guess they probably had another month in them before they started sprouting. Bedfordshire champion in my opinion do come a close second though. I’ve saved six of last years for next years seed.

Getting the seed out of the ‘husk’ isn’t that easy, pouring them from one hand to the other while blowing at them helps but a lot of seed is lost. If anyone has any tips they’d be gratefully received.
Sludge
KG Regular

I’ve just realised I’ve dropped an enormous clanger :oops:

The onions I saved to go to seed last year for sowing this year were Bedfordshire champions, the JLK I got from Irish Seed Savers were only in their first year in 2020 and will go to seed in 2021 for sowing in 2022.

So unfortunately the seed I’ve sent Barkelberrybear are Bedfordshire Champions. :oops: it’s not easy being me sometimes!
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Sludge wrote:Message received and replied to.

They really do live up to their name, we’ve only just finished last years, they were still as good as they were last autumn, at a guess they probably had another month in them before they started sprouting. Bedfordshire champion in my opinion do come a close second though. I’ve saved six of last years for next years seed.

Getting the seed out of the ‘husk’ isn’t that easy, pouring them from one hand to the other while blowing at them helps but a lot of seed is lost. If anyone has any tips they’d be gratefully received.

Why not let them sprout, and plant. Then next year you will have your own seed.
Barkelberrybear
KG Regular

Colin, it's ok. Can you remember me for next year please? With regards to the winnowing of the seeds I'm sure that the seed company known as "The Real Seed Co" would be interested on obtaining some ( next year). They have excellent facilities and/or advice on seed collections. They could help I reckon. I look forward to receiving the seeds. Would you sow them with bottom heat or just in a cold greenhouse?
Sludge
KG Regular

Why not let them sprout, and plant. Then next year you will have your own seed.

Yes, I’ve re-planted six of last years JLK to go to seed this year for sowing next year....... hopefully! If I’m successful I’ll be back here beginning of March next year and should have plenty to spare.

Would you sow them with bottom heat or just in a cold greenhouse?
Either really wherever you have room, if we have the same weather as last spring they could be sown outside in a couple of weeks or so. The problem I find with onions is that they don’t like being messed about with too much. So the younger they are when they are transplanted the better. Unlike leeks where you can knock ten bells out of them and they just come back for more.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic