JAMES LONG KEEPING ONION SEED

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Someone helped me out with a pinch of the above in 2006, the Memsahib has tidied up my den, and I am unable to find same. [Her Court Martial comes up when the Six Nations finishes] :x :x :x .
Colin_M
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:The Memsahib has tidied up my den, and I am unable to find same. [Her Court Martial comes up when the Six Nations finishes] :x :x :x .

You could always make her watch the remaining England games :twisted:
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Colin_M. I am not that hard.
Sludge
KG Regular

Hello do I get an award for digging up an old thread?

Ive been trying to get hold of James Longkeeping onion seeds for a few years. I’ve had a couple of packets from Dobies but had zero germination, it wasn’t me, I had 100% germination with my own Bedfordshire Champion seed. I’ve also had other disappointing results from them.

Dobies,Thompson and Morgan, the Irish Seed Savers and Shallot Man are the only results on Google. I’m not going to buy from Dobies again, Thomson and Morgan apologise for no longer stocking them, Irish Seed Savers are a bit expensive with postage without having guaranteed germination, so has anyone bought from here and if so can they vouch for them. The last alternative is Shallot Man or whoever he got a pinch of seed from, if he got any, can you spare any?

It might seem a bit early to be worrying about next years seeds, but my Bedfordshire Champions have been infiltrated and have come out white! And I’m determined to get some James Longkeeping for next year.

Thanks for listening and for any replies.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear All,
Dobies appear to have some seeds.
Regards Sally Wright.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Just ordered from Dobies.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Sludge wrote:Hello do I get an award for digging up an old thread?

Ive been trying to get hold of James Longkeeping onion seeds for a few years. I’ve had a couple of packets from Dobies but had zero germination, it wasn’t me, I had 100% germination with my own Bedfordshire Champion seed. I’ve also had other disappointing results from them.

Dobies,Thompson and Morgan, the Irish Seed Savers and Shallot Man are the only results on Google. I’m not going to buy from Dobies again, Thomson and Morgan apologise for no longer stocking them, Irish Seed Savers are a bit expensive with postage without having guaranteed germination, so has anyone bought from here and if so can they vouch for them. The last alternative is Shallot Man or whoever he got a pinch of seed from, if he got any, can you spare any?

It might seem a bit early to be worrying about next years seeds, but my Bedfordshire Champions have been infiltrated and have come out white! And I’m determined to get some James Longkeeping for next year.

Thanks for listening and for any replies.

Sludge. Have gone mad and ordered from both Dobies and Irish Seed Savers. Will need to go to the Rugby Club on Sat. :wink:
Sludge
KG Regular

Best of luck with the Dobies, I think I’ll stand out in the sun for a while then order some from Irish Seed Savers.

Being only one of four in a google search is a bit of an achievement have an extra one at the Rugby Club.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Sludge wrote:Best of luck with the Dobies, I think I’ll stand out in the sun for a while then order some from Irish Seed Savers.

Being only one of four in a google search is a bit of an achievement have an extra one at the Rugby Club.

Sludge. When I ordered earlier today. They had 11 packets left. That is, unless they are telling porkies.
Sludge
KG Regular

I was going to order from Irish Seed Savers, they’re still saying 11 packets left, but thinking about it I reckon they will be last years seed. So if I hang on a month or so and the number of packets left goes up, that’ll be when this years seed is ready.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

[quote="Sludge"]I was going to order from Irish Seed Savers, they’re still saying 11 packets left, but thinking about it I reckon they will be last years seed. So if I hang on a month or so and the number of packets left goes up, that’ll be when this years seed is ready.

Good thinking Sludge.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Unless they don't re-stock them.... :twisted:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

What's the history of the 'James' name - I grow a carrot James Scarlet so I guess there is a range named after some old nurseryman.
Sludge
KG Regular

My memory from looking for it on on the interweb is that it was a Mr James who bred the onion somewhere in London long ago built on sometime in the 1800’s. I’ve got hold of Seed and sets in the past and it’s a good doer, stores incredibly well and is a usable size, I don’t understand why it’s fallen out of favour.

Because I couldn’t get any several years ago I got Bedfordshire Champion which is widely available and is a good second best, kept my own seed and for some reason this year most of them came up white.

Damn what am I saying if you all dash out to buy ISS,s last 11 packets I’ll never get any.
Sludge
KG Regular

My Irish Seed Saver hunch may have been right, on ordering some the other day they had 40 odd packets in stock. Shall we meet back here at germination time to compare findings.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic