Don't buy clothes!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

No, I don't go about naked :shock:

But this is something I'm not guilty of. On the whole my part of Wales is not an area of snappy dressers and I can't recall the last time I threw away even clothes that were falling apart. Pretty sure the wife does it when I'm not looking. A few pairs of jeans, some shirts and T-shirts, socks and underwear do me. Thank goodness I don't have to go to work any more and dress to satisfy other people.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Alan, i think you will find that most people of the land have the same approach to clothes as yourself, i know i do. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

But how do you stop people buying by brand rather than price, quality, function, etc. However many times you try and embarrass people by saying "Haven't you got that on inside out?" when the label is on the outside they still do it.
PS : I've just thought of a way that government control freaks would love - if the manufacturers name is on the outside the size has to be as well, minimum 25mm high.
richard p
KG Regular

i can remember a documentary on the box several years ago banging on about people being ripped off cos they were buying copies of designer lables for a tenner when they could have have paid loads more for the genuine article .... thing was they admitted that both products were made in the same sweat shops.

my puter is sowing a pop up claiming my windows xp hasnt passed some microsoft vaidation test , and caims i may be a victim of software counterfieting, how can i be a victim, the software is working... if anyone is a victim its bill gates not me... my heart bleeds for him.. weve got 5 other copies of windows and ms office that have past their test (presumably). how come microsoft can access my computer and check whats on it anyway, big brother is watching
peter
KG Regular

Microsoft don't access your computer. :D

Their software running on your computer talks back to Microsoft for updates etc and reports where it is and what the licence number it has is. "Walls have ears!", "Careless talk costs lives!" :wink:

Now it could be that someone else has copied your licence number, or it could just be that your's has never been registered with Microsoft.

BTW, one satirical column in the computer trade press renames all firms, any ideas who Microshaft could be? :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
richard p
KG Regular

if ive got a computer that works and does all i want it to, with an antivirus programme that updates itself why does microsoft keep offering me updates, some of which im sure have downloaded themselves without me agreeing, we suddenly seemed to update fron explorer 6 to 7 without me doing anything a couple of weeks ago, ever since my desktop has had a black background . even though i can change it, it resets itself to black every tome the computer is restarted. i presume its something to do with this failed verification thing which started at the same time.
Primrose
KG Regular

My gardening anorak is now 43 years old and as I've put on a little weight since I first bought it, it's now a bit of a tight squeeze but I reckon I can get one more season out of it. My gardening Cloggies on the other hand, are just two years old and have already split across the front. Old is best ! It really makes me laugh when I see these gardening programmes and Carol Klein all wrapped up in long coats and dangling scraves etc. I'm surprised she hasn't strangled herself to death!
lizzie
KG Regular

I belong to a very small group of women who actually detests shopping.......unless it's at Malvern Flower Show or getting seeds for the lottie.

I only buy when I have to.....ie, the arse has fallen out of my jeans or I need new wellies.

I do try to buy stuff that hasn't been mass produced by poor little children in 3rd world countries.

However, it is expensive, so I can't afford to buy much stuff anyway. To be honest, if it isn't warm and functional, I don't bother.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Smurfy
KG Regular

I agree Lizzie. I really don't like shopping, i have to buy clothes for work but try and survive with 2 or three suits. My husband doesn't have many clothes either. All this fashion stuff with 'trendy' belts etc is all just a fad, the environmental cost aside, most of the stuff looks bloomin horrible!
Life's a journey, not a destination - Aerosmith
peter
KG Regular

richard p wrote:if ive got a computer that works and does all i want it to, with an antivirus programme that updates itself why does microsoft keep offering me updates, some of which im sure have downloaded themselves without me agreeing, ....

Anti-Virus just works on viruses, all the millions of lines of code in Windows do, surprise-surprise, have some errors in them even some years after the product first went for sale and some of these errors are termed "vulnerabililities".
A vulnerability is an error which could allow someone to access or change your computer without your permission or knowledge.
So Microsoft ship fixes for these via their update service, together with optional fixes or nice to have new diddy bits.
You have control over the Update service, tech bit coming up.
In Vista click on: Start, Control Panel, Security Center.
If there is a green button next to "Automatic Updating" it does what it says.
To change it, click on "Windows Update" in the top left of Security Center.
Then click on "Change Settings" in the top left of Windows Update
The best option is "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them."
After that you're on your own :wink: 'cos your computer will now be asking for your advice at every turn. :twisted:

richard p wrote:.. we suddenly seemed to update fron explorer 6 to 7 without me doing anything a couple of weeks ago, ever since my desktop has had a black background . even though i can change it, it resets itself to black every tome the computer is restarted. i presume its something to do with this failed verification thing which started at the same time.

Could be, hard to tell from a distance. :lol:
However very unlikely that IE7 would just gaily install without anything being acknowledged, perhaps you hit return or clicked the mouse at an inopportune moment as a window box was appearing to ask you. :shock: :shock:

Now you've got the new moderator going off-topic.
Any more computer queries bung a new topic in Website Help and I'll try and assist.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

dont buy knickers ither,if i cant find clean knickers i wear the O.H undies,and i am not messin.so what i wear to the lotty,dont give a ****although i must say,the tarts mum made me a fan dabbie,dozzie,body warmer the other day,and i havnt had the thing off since her mammy made it 4 me,thank u hilda xxxxx
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

How intriguing Grocky. :shock: :wink:

Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Grock,
I am so happy to know that Hilda seems to be so much better. I'd like to see a photo of the "body warmer". I am tempted to write a very facetious remark but my whole body is resisting! :)
Love to see you back on-line.
LALAL,
JB.
richard p
KG Regular

my 14 year old daughter went shopping with friends this week , all she bought was boys underwear.... apparently wearing them on their heads gave them a clear space in an otherwise full cinema.... she claims they are more comfortable than girlie ones.. how did she find out... should i be starting to worry...
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Richard, i don't think you have anything to worry about, although the problem might be if, all yours get borrowed you might end up having to your daughters undies. :shock: :lol:

Hope that thought doesn't ruin anybodies day. :twisted: :wink:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic