Do plants give off heat?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

I'm wondering because I'm looking at my vegetable patch. The areas which are now bare soil are still covered with snow. However, the snow has disappeared from the patch where the leeks are growing, and also where Swiss chard, celeriac and some beetroots are planted.
Compo
KG Regular

Hi Primrose I had a similar thought too, and I think that the plants get caught by the son first and the snow drips off and melts the snow around the plant, also the snow under most plants is thinner as the plant acts a little like an umberella. But if as well as that they are warmer than other things then it may explain the phenomena even more so.

I think this could be a good thread!!

CoMpO
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
richard p
KG Regular

i would think that with all the chemical reactions going on in the plants they must generate some heat. how much is another question.
Westi
KG Regular

Also you see on some of the wild life programmes
on night vision some of the plants glow quite
brightly. Not so relevant in current programmes
as they use more high tech equipment but the older
ones were heat sensitive.

Westi
Westi
nemo
KG Regular

well i suppose the leeks are mature so they might be suffering with hot flushes,sorry ladies i couldn't help my self
The Mouse
KG Regular

Hi, Primrose,

That's an interesting question!

It's crossed my mind that because the leaves of a plant are a darker colour than snow, on a sunny day they will probably absorb more heat than the white snow. But whether that could raise their temperature enough to help explain the differences you've noticed in thawing times, I've no idea :?
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic