Forum Nouveau

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

nog
KG Regular

Is it just me or are there less posts that on the old forum. And the posts there are are not as interesting.
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Nog,

I think this site has not got such a good find rate with the search engines at present...which means I think it may not currently be found by those out a hunting for info.??..
...You have to know it is here to find it and post on it..???

For some reason the old site had a brilliant search rating..I know not how or why..but that is where for instance the various Suffolk mower questions sprang from...love them or hate them..???, I add..
All from one enquiry were the names Atco and Qualcast got a mention in an innocent reply about a Suffolk engine on a Merry Tiller...these key words were then found by the search engines and hey presto a whole new group of postings/posters....

Similar happened with the questions on Homelite products that regularly cropped up at one time or another.

Very interestingly I had an enquiry yesterday direct to my e-mail address that came from a 2004 thread on the old style forum...even though it is no longer out there.??!!

This was from a Google Snapshot taken of the Forum and archived dated I think Feb 2005....So out there are, it seems, long lost web pages hidden in some "old shed"...along with a pile of Zenith carburettors..??!!

So this Search engine find rating question fascinates me.....

I wonder..is it something that will, hopefully, build up with use...leading new posters to arrive here via search engines again...????

All the best,
Clive.
Angi
KG Regular

Hello Nog. I think its partly because our postings are split up into categories, but I also think its that time of year again.
John
KG Regular

Hello All
In a discussion of old v. new forum, Mr Potato Head claims that the old forum was groaning under the weight of 30,000 posts a year ('Fora Bunda', Nov 24th)! I should think it was as I only ever managed to read a few new posts most days - just couldn't keep up with them all! I'm amazed as this works out at at an average 82 posts per day. So posts to the new forum are well down with the new system!

I agree with the others though. Its a combination of time of year, not being thrown up by Google searches and postings being split into an unnecessarily large number of sub forums.

John
Esther Greentree
KG Regular

Having to go back and forth repeatedly between the multitude of lists and the postings means that it takes more time to navigate the site, read the posts and eventually reply.

If you only have a little time to read this forum (I do my KG forum reading mostly when the kids are in the bath... that's 20 min per day) then you will read less posts with this new style forum than you used to with the old style forum.
peterf
KG Regular

esther,you only bayh the kids for 20 mins shame on you hahahaha :lol:
jane E
KG Regular

It depends on how many kids you have; how many you attempt to get in the bath at the same time; how much water you can tolerate on the floor and how much mayhem you can listen to before you go in and intervene! We had 5 and bathtime was Calvin and Hobbes style! Storytime with their father was even more raucous. Enjoy them while they're small! Those days never come back.
peterf
KG Regular

yeah yor right jane,many a year ago i loved it when they jumped in the bath with me.id let a good old underwater ripper go and tell the daughter it was all part and parcel of the bonding process.shes 16 now with attitude, :lol: how wed all love to turn the clock back a few years :lol:
Carole B.
KG Regular

I love it!We start off with the number of posts and end up with bathing the kids,just like real over the garden fence nattering.Long may it continue!
Chris
KG Regular

Chris

I'm in the middle of a trial - seeing how many new postings there are and how long it takes to access them. I'm working from the top down. There are certainly plenty of postings - no differnce really from he old forum - but it takes so much time to locate them. I'm now 28 minutes into this excercise and this is only the second reply I've made.

The new forum has lots of really good new features but ease of communication is not one of them - yet.

Chris

PS. Don't try this experiment if you have kids in the bath.
Chris
nog
KG Regular

Ok new trial. I have a kid in the bath, playing with the hairdryer. I want to see how many posts I can make before the lights go ou
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic