Spring around the corner?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Vivien
KG Regular

I bought a beautiful new Stella cherry tree from a fruit grower who regularly has a stall at Dorchester market yesterday, being optimistic that we're nearly there. The mini daffs in my window boxes are starting to bloom, the blackbirds are making nests in the ivy and frog spawn appeared in the pond this morning. Mind you, it's been blowing a gale with nasty heavy rain today. I'll be planting some more new fruit trees (including the cherry) this weekend and I can't wait! If I have the energy, I'll put together my first gravel board bed and plant some spuds. All I need to do now is win the lottery so I can give up paid work and spend more time on the allotment! What are other folks planning? :D
pigletwillie
KG Regular

I to have trees (apple) to plant as espaliers on the plot plus a stella cherry and two apricots to go into pots.

My spud trencjes are all dug and manured but I am hanging fire for a week or two before planting.

Most of my action is greenhouse based with endless pricking out of tomatos, chillis, peppers, brasicas onions and flowers filling the greenhouse and my time. I finish my shift rotation tonight so am going to make the doors for my new home made polytunnel so that it is ready for covering. I can get some stuff out of the greenhouse then.

Rain is the only fly in the ointment at the moment but cant complain as its needed.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Zena
KG Regular

I, too, have a cherry tree thay I'm waiting to plant. I'm also waiting for it to warm up a bit before I go out and invest in some fruit bushes(blackberry, redcurrant and white currant)
Veg. plot # 2 is awaiting it's 2nd digging (the garden used to be a field until a few months ago) but plt #1 is ready and waiting for me to start planting after the last of the frosts. I'm just not sure what to start with, being a newcomer to this veg.growing malarky. And then there's the paths, the herb garden and the area that my son has decided will be dedicated to football/cricket................. :?
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi Vivian

I noticed that you're from Bournemouth. My partner was brought up in Weymouth, just down the road from you.

You're blessed to be living in such a beautiful county. It is gorgeous.

I wish spring was round the corner here but it looks doubtful. Will have to be patient i suppose
Lots of love

Lizzie
paul.r

nice day here in the i.o.w. the big yellow round thing was out, the birds were a buddin and the trees were a singing, potted up some big onions and exhibition leeks, sowed toms, chillies pumpkins,2nd lot of lettuce, checked me parsnips which have germinated (under cover).pretty damn fine, 2nd day of 3 days off, more of the same tomorrow hopefully....paul.
Phil S
KG Regular

I hoped to continue digging the weeds out this weekend to make my first deep bed but that winter thing seems to be comming back!
will have to wait another week.

wish I had more than weekends off...
time is short. enjoy!
Chris
KG Regular

Hi

Good day here in Moray, North Scotland. The snow has gone and there was a lightness and warmth that gives the feeling of Spring.

Frogs are late in spawning but it's not surpising given the snow and ice - I think they are at it right now.

This week I've been hardening off cuttings of shrubs grown on in the greenhouse, watering the pepper, tomato and aubergine seedlings, wondering why most of the primula seeds haven't germinated despite all the attention and - hardest job of all - training a puppy to understand what it means when I say 'off the garden' Also have put together another cold frame. This weekend will be sowing and digging and training.

Here we go!
Chris
lizzie
KG Regular

I was all full of enthusiasm and was really looking forward to getting the last 4 of the main beds done for planting and the last potato bed dug over. I've got the flags for laying the paths, all my seeds have come up and have 2 new fruit trees to put in the ground. I was going to do fruit wires for the raspberries and tayberry.

Now i've done my shoulder in it looks like I might have to cover the whole plot over and do it next season. What a buggar!!! It's so frustrating that a piece of black ice can do this much damage.

Still, shit happens. I can still sit on the plot, have a barbie with Grock and all the kids, and marvel at the sight of all of Grocks stuff growing.

I think i'll probably just grow some tomatos, cucumbers, peppers and anything else I can shove in a tub. I'll still be getting a crop of sorts.

Just waiting for the weather to sort itself out and we'll all be doing what we love best. Growing quality, fresh food for our families. How fab is that 8)
Lots of love

Lizzie
Allan
KG Regular

All this promise of rain hasn't come to that much, ours only amounted to about half an inch so no real saving on the water bill yet. In an ideal world you would order it on the .net, half an inch twice a week at night would do nicely.I still say we are paying the price for industrialisation, pollution and global warming. All the junk mail, over-packaging, overseas holidays by air etc. Hundreds of millions years fossil fuels being squandered in a few decades.
Allan
Vivien
KG Regular

It is a great part of the country. I live in Bournemouth, but work mainly out of Dorchester which is only 7 miles due north of Weymouth - some truly spectacular views around there, so I count myself as very lucky. Maybe when the shoulder is better, you could suggest a southerly (English) location for the next holiday! Hope it heals well.
Best wishes,
Vivien
arthur e
KG Regular

I've still got 1 foot deep banks of snow up against fences and walls in my garden, the chickens keep sinking up to their bellys trying to cross over to get at the wild bird seed droppings. the cockerill does'nt like it at all.I'ts been thawwing like mad and I have a few lakes forming on the lawn but now the forcast is for more heavy snow in fact it's starting to snow as we speak.You lot daan saaf dont know how lucky you are.Even Chris just 60 miles to my west would agree that it's like living in a different country,I was over his way on wednsday to see the outlaws and it was glorious, crocusus, snowdrops, daffy's well up.I drove there along roads with 6foot deep banks of snow either side.
Anyway I managed to ski to the tunnel to gets some seeds into my propagator, an old office desk with a wooden frame over it covered with left over tunnel plastic.
keeping my chins up, dreaming of spring.
Arthur e+
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Poor old Lizzie, must be so frustrating not being able to get on with all those jobs. If i did not live so far away i come and give you a hand.
I have got my three allotments well sorted so i will have to find something else to do this weekend.
Probably go and help old people to cross the road,and maybe rescue a few kittens.

Kind regards a very helpful Old herbaceous.

When i'm not fishing i'm mending my nets.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Poor old Lizzie, must be so frustrating not being able to get on with all those jobs. If i did not live so far away i come and give you a hand.
I have got my three allotments well sorted so i will have to find something else to do this weekend.
Probably go and help old people to cross the road,and maybe rescue a few kittens.

Kind regards a very helpful Old herbaceous.

When i'm not fishing i'm mending my nets.
lizzie
KG Regular

Bless you Old Herbaceous, much appreciated.

I'll do what I can, when I can and if anyone on the plot's got a problem they'll have to talk to me about it.

I'm hoping that the old man will pitch in and lend a hand. The brocolli, brassicas etc look after themselves if they're covered with netting. Spuds do the same. Stuff in the greenhouse is the problem. I'm thinking of getting those little nozzle thingies that go on the end of a 2 litre bottle and drizzles the water in slowley. That's one option. I'll work it out.

Everytime I get to this time of year, I seem to get a problem. Last year it was major emergency surgery. I think some buggars having a laugh up there.

Still, the stuff is all the sweeter when it's successful so that's cool and groovy baby :P
Lots of love

Lizzie
Chris
KG Regular

Hi Arthur

Good to hear from you. Yes Moray has been lucky this year with only a few inches of snow - all gone now. I know how bad parts of Aberdeenshire have been. Where are you? I'm in Elgin and the crocuses are good but no frog spawn yet - over a week late. Now the snow has gone maybe will continue digging this weekend.

Best wishes to Lizzie - sow a few leeks as well.
Chris
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic