Hard frost!!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Essexboy
KG Regular

We have had a really hard frost here in Kettering this morning, I had all my pumpkins still out in the garden. Talk about being caught out! I have moved them all into the greenhouse, fingers crossed, I only seem to have two that have been affected, time will tell. The remaining tomatoes and tomato plants in the greenhouse are starting to look a bit sorry for themselves.Has anybody else been affected today!
Regards, Essexboy.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Essexboy, it caught my courgettes and marrows, but not to badly, so not all is lost. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Catherine
KG Regular

It went down to 1.6 degrees this morning at about 5am in our garden. Tonight it is 11.5 degrees. I put our electric blanket on tonight but I dont think I am going to need it tonight.I opened the polytunnel doors today but made sure they are closed tonight. Though there is not much in there now. My aubergines are flowering and one actually made fruit while we were away at the beginning of September, but we got caterpillars in the tunnel and one got on my only aubergine fruit I peeled back the edges of the fruit and it was hiding. Now it has started to rot. I dont think I will get any more fruits. :cry:
Granny
KG Regular

My outdoor tomatoes are still outside. I'm going to bring in all the ones that have started to turn colour. Will the green ones ripen if I bring them in as well?
----------------
Granny
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Granny, if you pick them and place them in a box somewhere warm they will turn red, they are meant to turn better if you place one or two red ones in the box as well, but i'm not sure about that. :)

jane E
KG Regular

I'd picked my courgettes but not my 2 squashes which were caught. Did anyone else have an appalling crop of squashes? I lit a fire. It was really cold here and the frost was as heavy as any last winter.
Granny
KG Regular

Thanks OH.
--------------
Granny
Johnboy
KG Regular

The forecast for this coming week is -2C all week.
JB.
alan refail
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:The forecast for this coming week is -2C all week.
JB.

Round these parts minimum temperatures in double figures all week.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Alan,
Mmmm, it seems that the forecast given by the Met Office to the Horticulture Week Magazine is generally quite an accurate forecast for growers.
This morning my weather station registers a healthy
+14C so they are only 16C out!
Perhaps I shall not lay so much store by it in the future. Normally surprisingly accurate but this time they have missed by a mile.
JB.
Catherine
KG Regular

Hi John Boy, I have just checked our outdoor temperature and it is 12.6 deg at the moment and it only went down to 7.2 last night. Yesterday it went up to 17.7 and it was a superb day. I managed to motivate my OH for the day to help me clear our plot and remove all our tubs which had toms which caught blight to the tip. I planted some potatoes for christmas but lost them to blight also. Now a very happy bunny that all the beds with nothing in are now covered with black plastic. Today it is raining again, I hope to get out a bit later to go for a walk, after doing the ususal house jobs. :roll:
Johnboy
KG Regular

This morning we have one hell of a frost and the weather station reads -2C and the min/max thermometer
registers slightly lower than that. So my posting saying -2C all week is so far only 20% correct.
Wonder what this weeks magazine will predict.
This is really the first hard frost we have had here this autumn although other places not to far away have had several.
JB.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A light frost here as well, but it looks to be the most beautiful morning.

Parsons Jack
KG Regular

A bit of frost here as well this morning. Beautiful clear sky though, so should be a lovely day.
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Catherine
KG Regular

No frost here today 5.8 degrees. But looking a bit over cast I hope it clears though I am a bit under the weather today so I wont be rushing around doing much today. I've had a very busy week and I think its caught up with me. :( Probably just catch up on reading. :) The weather forecast shows scattered showers for us today.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic